What good are 2L grades? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What good are 2L grades?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:53 pm

I somehow wound up really bringing up my GPA this past semester, without any fluff courses. If I don't want to clerk, does it even matter?

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Re: What good are 2L grades?

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:14 pm

3L EIP/job hunt, if you will be doing that. Latin honors (if possible) and generally higher GPA can also help if you decide to go into academia later.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:51 pm

If Latin honors are in play, yes. Those stay on your résumé for ever. Also strong 2L grades are a good hedge against a no offer this summer. If you do find yourself needing to look for another job in the fall, it is much better to stay strong/have an upward trend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:40 pm

So if I'm happy with my firm for next summer and don't want to clerk, they're more or less useless?

hds2388

Bronze

Post by hds2388 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:51 pm

[quote="Anonymous User"]So if I'm happy with my firm for next summer and don't want to clerk, they're more or less useless?[

As someone said, Latin honors will always be on your résumé, as will Coif. Further at some point you may want to leave your firm. Though they won't be as important as they initially were, lateral hiring does involve looking at grades. (Weirdly firms have been requesting this more, recently.). They aren't useless, they are just less useful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”