Sending Updated Resume? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Sending Updated Resume?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:38 pm

I was just curious how to go about sending an updated resume without coming off as desperate. I sent a cover letter and resume to a small firm in my hometown about 2 weeks ago (haven't heard back from them one way or the other), and was wanting to send an updated resume. I found out yesterday that I booked my secured transactions class with an A+ and got a high GPA and wanted to make sure that they got it. But the fact that I haven't heard back from them makes me feel that they aren't interested.

Regardless, I feel that if I send it, it will be an indirect way of provoking a response.

Should I send it? And if so, should I also enclose a short memo?

DildaMan

Bronze

Re: Sending Updated Resume?

Post by DildaMan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I was just curious how to go about sending an updated resume without coming off as desperate. I sent a cover letter and resume to a small firm in my hometown about 2 weeks ago (haven't heard back from them one way or the other), and was wanting to send an updated resume. I found out yesterday that I booked my secured transactions class with an A+ and got a high GPA and wanted to make sure that they got it. But the fact that I haven't heard back from them makes me feel that they aren't interested.

Regardless, I feel that if I send it, it will be an indirect way of provoking a response.

Should I send it? And if so, should I also enclose a short memo?
If they weren't interested, sending an updated resume probably won't hurt your chances of getting the job.

I don't think a memo is necessary. Just say something along the lines of I am still interested in the job. Please find enclosed my updated resume.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:24 am

Are all of your grades in now? If so, I would do a very brief cover letter that states that you are providing an updated resume now that your grades for the semester have been finalized. Give them the take away point (X.X gap/class rank if known/booked secured transactions). Then say that you continue to be interested and can be contacted at XXXX.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:28 am

TooOld4This wrote:Are all of your grades in now? If so, I would do a very brief cover letter that states that you are providing an updated resume now that your grades for the semester have been finalized. Give them the take away point (X.X gap/class rank if known/booked secured transactions). Then say that you continue to be interested and can be contacted at XXXX.
Another cover letter is overkill. Just say that you continue to be interested in working at XYZ law firm, and an updated resume is attached that includes your final grades for the fall 2012 semester in an email. I definitely would not discuss "the take away point" being your grades and that you booked secured trans because they are going to see your grades/book award on your resume and it comes off as being arrogant emphasizing those points. Unless you have a killer grades from a killer school (which I doubt because you're applying to a small firm now), they probably have resumes from people with better schools/grades than yours, so it really doesn't make sense to over emphasize those points.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:39 pm

Anecdotal, but never underestimate the power of an updated resume. You only need a few words about how you're sending something new. I credit sending an updated resume to an employer to securing a 2L summer job that I would have had no shot at otherwise.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”