Sub 3.0 Grades Okay for Gov't? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Sub 3.0 Grades Okay for Gov't?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:06 pm

My GPA is 2.8-2.9 (but that's bottom quarter at my school). I'm looking for 1L summer work and trying to figure out which positions consider anyone with a sub 3.0 GPA. I have demonstrated experience with employment law and quite a bit of other public interest law areas.

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Sub 3.0 Grades Okay for Gov't?

Post by thesealocust » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:26 pm

From a top school with hustle, maybe. Governments are hiring freezing all over the place and every year there are like 50,000 law grads and 30,000 entry level legal jobs in the country. Bottom quarter is bad news bears territory for any kind of employment, but if you don't have great grades your hustle/background/connections/location matter a hell of a lot more than your precisely calculated GPA.

Gummit jobs aren't straight GPA shoot outs, but a crappy GPA isn't helping either. And most exciting federal jobs are obscenely competitive and would definitely be out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:37 pm

thesealocust wrote:From a top school with hustle, maybe. Governments are hiring freezing all over the place and every year there are like 50,000 law grads and 30,000 entry level legal jobs in the country. Bottom quarter is bad news bears territory for any kind of employment, but if you don't have great grades your hustle/background/connections/location matter a hell of a lot more than your precisely calculated GPA.

Gummit jobs aren't straight GPA shoot outs, but a crappy GPA isn't helping either. And most exciting federal jobs are obscenely competitive and would definitely be out.
OP here

Ah, yeah, forgot the school range. I'm at a T25-T40. Only one semester of grades so far, so there's time to bring the grades up. Just not enough time obviously for applying for positions this summer.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:45 pm

I don't know a single person at my T30 who went without something for their 1L summer. So you should be fine. Esp. since they're not paying, I think you'll be fine for the moment. The concern is getting a job post-grad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:39 pm

For 1L summer, probably not a big deal, if you don't apply to anything prestigious. I know some offices who didn't even ask for transcripts from 1Ls. For post-grad, it's a very, very big deal, as a lot of government offices are very selective and also have rules that they can't get around (including 3.0 GPA requirements for some).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:45 pm

OP here

Thanks all for the responses. Are there any specific offices you specifically think I might have a good chance with? Navigating USAjobs has been pretty ridiculous.

Rootbeer

New

Post by Rootbeer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:45 pm

Look at the websites for/contact people at your local state or city agencies, AG Offices, DA Offices, PDs...you get the point. They usually provide guidance on internships...if not, call them and see if they do internships for 1Ls. You'll probably be able to get an internship at many of those places if you're genuinely interested in what they do. State government entities don't use grades as the only factor and many don't care at all. Just apply to places doing what you may want to do when you're out of law school and start making connections. Nobody's going to be able to give you specific offices, considering that you haven't told anybody where the heck you go to school or what your hometown is...you have to do your own research on that front if you won't say more.

Also, to reiterate what others have said, federal is likely not happening...they DO care a great deal about grades. Of course, it doesn't hurt to apply anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:24 pm

It's definitely just going to depend on the office, and your competition. I worked in a state AG's office 1L summer, and they hired over 20 clerks, and everyone was in the top 25% wherever they went to school. Everyone. But there isn't a lot of big law in my local area, so the other stuff gets more competitive. My boss told me this was the first year that everyone they offered to accepted the position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:01 pm

As a 1L what other posters have said ring true about in-school opportunities, for entry-level non DOJ honors attorney programs, either your class rank or journal will make you eligible and competitive...with a low class ranking and no journal, you are likely shut out of fed govt. Those are the brakes kid.

I got dinged for an entry-level govt attorney job b/c I didn't have either. When they found out my < 50% ranking, they withdrew my tentative offer. Ouch!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:50 am

I'm a 3L with a post-grad government job. I applied to a lot of jobs, including ones outside the practice area I wanted. I saw "minimum of 3.0 GPA" listed on many job applications, regardless of what your actual ranking is. That being said, a lot of the times once you've reached the 3.0 floor, better grades don't really matter unless they're exceptional. Good news is you've got 2 years to bring it up.

As for 1L summer, I don't think most state government jobs even ask for grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here

Thanks all for the responses. Are there any specific offices you specifically think I might have a good chance with? Navigating USAjobs has been pretty ridiculous.
Also, just FYI, don't bother with USAjobs for internships. Just go to your career services office and get a password for the Arizona guide.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”