Do Gunners Ever Get There? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Munson

New

Do Gunners Ever Get There?

Post by Munson » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:19 pm

I am a 3L at a top school. I'm ranked in the top 1%, published, clerking on the Court of Appeals in a major area and circuit, and then working at a prestigious litigation boutique. All of that should make me feel great, yet I am unsatisfied. It seems like a person can never do enough in this profession. There are always others that have done more, done better, gotten ahead in some way.

Personally, my dream is to be a judge one day. That seems like an incredible quality of life, and I'd love to have the opportunity to serve the public in that role. But when you look at the resumes of virtually every federal judge, it's a real eye-opener. Every one of them had all the credentials I have at this point in their careers, plus more in spades. They were Editor-in-Chief of the Law Review, or won three national moot competitions, or cured cancer. They weren't just top 1%--they were number one. They didn't just clerk in a good circuit in a great city--they clerked for Posner or Kozinski or the like. And then they clerked on the Supreme Court. They had been published six times by 3L year. These people are ridiculous. Who are these people?

Looking at these resumes makes me think, despite the significant success I've had, that I've really fallen short of the glory. Any time I do well at something, but not superbly, I am reminded of my shortcoming. I wonder if this phenomenon isn't endemic of the whole damn profession. Does the gunner mentality ever end in this career? Or is the legal profession a never-ending sink hole that spins until you die? Does anyone else have this feeling that there is no end, that more more more will always be expected no matter how well you do?
Last edited by Munson on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Gold

Re: Do Gunners Ever Get There?

Post by fatduck » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:20 pm

okay

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:23 pm

Cool

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:24 pm

sounds like you need to crush this problem - with your A.S.S.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:24 pm

You will never be happy

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:28 pm

Munson wrote:I am a 3L at a top school. I'm ranked in the top 1%, published, clerking on the Court of Appeals in a major area and circuit, and then working at a prestigious litigation boutique. All of that should make me feel great, yet I am unsatisfied. It seems like a person can never do enough in this profession. There are always others that have done more, done better, gotten ahead in some way.

Personally, my dream is to be a judge one day. That seems like an incredible quality of life, and I'd love to have the opportunity to serve the public in that role. But when you look at the resumes of virtually every federal judge, it's a real eye-opener. Every one of them had all the credentials I have at this point in their careers, plus more in spades. They were Editor-in-Chief of the Law Review, or won three national moot competitions, or cured cancer. They weren't just top 1%--they were number one. They didn't just clerk in a good circuit in a great city--they clerked for Posner or Kozinski or the like. And then they clerked on the Supreme Court. They had been published six times by 3L year. These people are ridiculous. Who are these people?

Looking at these resumes makes me think, despite the significant success I've had, that I've really fallen short of the glory. Any time I do well at something, but not superbly, I am reminded of my shortcoming. I wonder if this phenomenon isn't endemic of the whole damn profession. Does the gunner mentality ever end in this career? Or is the legal profession a never-ending sink hole that spins until you die? Does anyone else have this feeling that there is no end, that more more more will always be expected no matter how well you do?
There will always be people better than you. But that doesn't mean you can't be proud of your accomplishments. Anyways, getting a commission to be a federal judge isn't necessarily all about merit, i'm sure a lot of it is politics.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:29 pm

dingbat wrote:You will never be happy

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:31 pm

There is no success until you land POTUS or SCOTUS.

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:33 pm

ph14 wrote:
Munson wrote:I am a 3L at a top school. I'm ranked in the top 1%, published, clerking on the Court of Appeals in a major area and circuit, and then working at a prestigious litigation boutique. All of that should make me feel great, yet I am unsatisfied. It seems like a person can never do enough in this profession. There are always others that have done more, done better, gotten ahead in some way.

There will always be people better than you. But that doesn't mean you can't be proud of your accomplishments. Anyways, getting a commission to be a federal judge isn't necessarily all about merit, i'm sure a lot of it is politics.
Luck and politics. I'm not sure which one plays the 60% part.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:38 pm

Solely using other people's accomplishments to measure your own self-worth --> you will never be happy. you will never be satisfied.

What flaw (actual or perceived) are you trying to compensate for? why do you need to have the absolute best credentials in order to have glory? Specifically, why does looking at the lives of other people make you feel you have fallen short of glory?

Resume credentials are not a true measure of success. Resumes do not indicate how many friends or family one is surrounded by. Nor does it say if one is happily married to a super attractive wife. Nor does it say if one has kids, or if they have an actual relationship with those kids.

Look beyond professional accomplishments when you evaluate your own success, or the perceived success of others. Be happy with yourself the way you are. Why allow externalities impact your own happiness? Think about it: someone you have never met has crushed your self-esteem simply by making their resume public. That in and of itself should make you feel depressed.

okinawa

Bronze

Post by okinawa » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:39 pm

Last edited by okinawa on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:42 pm

1) my judge is an awesome guy to work for, but believe me, he does not have the resume you describe. Nor do most of the judges in this district. So it may be that you're comparing yourself only against the very tip top of your chosen field.

2) the prize for a pie-eating contest is...more pie. One of the most important things to learn in life is that if you determine your self-worth only by external achievements you're never going to be happy, because you can't control those things. (That said, law school/the legal profession make it really really hard *not* to do this, so I sympathize. But you have to find a way to stop doing it.)

juzam_djinn

Bronze

Post by juzam_djinn » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1) my judge is an awesome guy to work for, but believe me, he does not have the resume you describe. Nor do most of the judges in this district. So it may be that you're comparing yourself only against the very tip top of your chosen field.

2) the prize for a pie-eating contest is...more pie. One of the most important things to learn in life is that if you determine your self-worth only by external achievements you're never going to be happy, because you can't control those things. (That said, law school/the legal profession make it really really hard *not* to do this, so I sympathize. But you have to find a way to stop doing it.)
typically the prize for pie-eating contests is not more pie; you're probably referring to the adage that big law is like a pie eating contest where the first prize is more pie

more often, it's a ribbon or a shiny medal

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:55 pm

for those people who are somewhat competitive, there is always a sort of "measuring up" that is done...are you content being above average in a given field? do you want to be top 10%? do you want top 1%? how about .1% or .001%? at some point you have to step back from it all and realize that doing things solely to be moved slightly up the perceived hierarchy is a vacuous and inane task. i would also go so far as to say that those who are the absolute most successful people achieve their goals through a love and focus on a task that they feel is perfect for them, with a hunger and a talent that leads them to perform well. I'm sure the guy who wants to be a SCOTUS clerk is busy enjoying his classes, his research for publications, and his life, and is not worried about stacking up to others...he sets a goal and enjoys the road towards achieving it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:58 pm

juzam_djinn wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1) my judge is an awesome guy to work for, but believe me, he does not have the resume you describe. Nor do most of the judges in this district. So it may be that you're comparing yourself only against the very tip top of your chosen field.

typically the prize for pie-eating contests is not more pie; you're probably referring to the adage that big law is like a pie eating contest where the first prize is more pie

dude, given the context, you got the point, right?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
juzam_djinn wrote:

Your lack of knowledge concerning pie-eating contests is downright insulting.

juzam_djinn

Bronze

Post by juzam_djinn » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
juzam_djinn wrote:

I got the point, but it took me significantly longer than it would have had you chosen a more apt analogy. that's more a function of my own shortcomings though...

jk, just wanted to poke fun =)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:04 pm

Yeah just not really true in my experience. Scalia wasn't even summa cum laude from hls

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:04 pm

juzam_djinn wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
juzam_djinn wrote:

I got the point, but it took me significantly longer than it would have had you chosen a more apt analogy. that's more a function of my own shortcomings though...

jk, just wanted to poke fun =)
I will have to remedy my lack of experience with pie-eating contests... ;)

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:06 pm

1) Go read the 3L job hunting thread and try to get some perspective. Or better yet, go read JDU.
2) Also, you need to relax. If you keep going the way you are, the only place you'll end up in is therapy.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah just not really true in my experience. Scalia wasn't even summa cum laude from hls
Yeah, he was only magna... what a slacker.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:09 pm

exitoptions wrote:There is no success until you land POTUS or SCOTUS.
even then, you'll come across someone who got both

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:09 pm

fatduck wrote:
Taft didn't settle for just a regular associate justice position, he got the Chief Justice seat. Resolved: Taft is the most prefstigious American ever.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:12 pm

ph14 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Taft didn't settle for just a regular associate justice position, he got the Chief Justice seat. Resolved: Taft is the most prefstigious American ever.
Especially if you're measuring per pound....

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:16 pm

question: could Obama appoint himself to the Supreme Court?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”