Contingency to Return as a 2L for 1L offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Contingency to Return as a 2L for 1L offer

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:44 pm

I recently received an offer from one of the Texas Big 3. Acceptance would require me to commit to five weeks at the beginning of the summer as a 2L as well. Wouldn't this prevent me from working with any other first-half firm? If that's the case, it seems like I'm essentially accepting an offer to work for this firm (assuming I'm not no-offered one of the summers), which is a little frightening. Or are first half firms willing to make exceptions for 2Ls constrained by this policy?

hookem14

New

Re: Contingency to Return as a 2L for 1L offer

Post by hookem14 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:59 pm

If this is referring to BB, they must have changed their policy. Last year if you accepted as a 1L you just had to come back for 4 weeks during 2L summer, and I'm pretty sure you could do that second half.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:58 pm

Yeah that's what I had been expecting. Clearly specifies fives weeks at the beginning of the summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I recently received an offer from one of the Texas Big 3. Acceptance would require me to commit to five weeks at the beginning of the summer as a 2L as well. Wouldn't this prevent me from working with any other first-half firm? If that's the case, it seems like I'm essentially accepting an offer to work for this firm (assuming I'm not no-offered one of the summers), which is a little frightening. Or are first half firms willing to make exceptions for 2Ls constrained by this policy?
Different person, same situation. Honestly, I just accepted not really worrying about the specific language just because I had heard so much about the firm allowing summers to fulfill their requirement in the 2nd half. Can any 1L summers from last year chime in?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:34 am

Original Anon

Yeah I'm worried this is something they changed this year because people ended up choosing a different firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:04 am

I did two summers at big 3 firms. It sounds like a shift from previous years. I wouldn't expect another big 3 firm to accommodate that next summer.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:08 am

If you don't care about renewing your offer then you don't have to go back if they won't accommodate your other summer offers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”