Tell them I'm married? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jessemllr

New

Tell them I'm married?

Post by jessemllr » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:11 pm

How do potential employers view law student that are married? Better to not mention it at all?

Anonymous User

Re: Tell them I'm married?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:13 pm

jessemllr wrote:How do potential employers view law student that are married? Better to not mention it at all?
Are you female? If so, keep it to yourself. If you're male, on the other hand, it's a plus (makes you seem stable).

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:14 pm

jessemllr wrote:How do potential employers view law student that are married? Better to not mention it at all?
I wouldn't mention it or hide it. I would think they would view it positively as evidence you aren't a completely anti-social psychopath if you can maintain a marital relationship, but their positive view would end if they thought it would in any way deter you from working 90 hours a week.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:16 pm

Why do you think it even matters?

If it comes up organically in conversation, it's fair game. You shouldn't enter an interview room with a strategy of playing the marriage card to gain some benefit or avoiding it so as not to be given some negative mark.

Just be a normal, tactful, engaging person.

uk4220

New

Post by uk4220 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:22 pm

it can be helpful to show ties to a region (i.e. — my husband is also an attorney here so I'm less likely to bail anytime soon)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alex.feuerman

Bronze

Post by alex.feuerman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Are you female? If so, keep it to yourself. If you're male, on the other hand, it's a plus (makes you seem stable).
OMYGOD this is so messed up but so true.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:13 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:22 pm

My general sense about it is that larger firms, maybe leave it out. They want associates they can work to death and then send on their way. Anything that might interfere with billing is red flag to them.

If it's a smaller / midsize firm, bring it up. They typically want to hire someone and retain them, and they like signs that you're a normal, stable person.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:23 pm

Biglaw firms want robots, not normal human beings. I would not mention that you're married.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:53 pm

alex.feuerman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Are you female? If so, keep it to yourself. If you're male, on the other hand, it's a plus (makes you seem stable).
Every part of every layer of this is true.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:09 pm

You do not want to work for a firm that doesn't want to hire married people (if such exists).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:13 pm

I say, be yourself. You'll do more damage if you try to hide it, as it will come out. Like, how are you going to hide the fact that maybe you wear a ring? I'm a married female, and I still got a big law job. It was impossible for me to hide (my married name is Asian, and I'm Caucasian). I couldn't explain why I changed geographic locations without mentioning my husband. If I didn't get a callback or offer, I doubt it was because I was married.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:15 am

I mentioned in every interview that I am married with kids. If they feel like that's a concern for them, I will go to one that it won't be.

kryptix

Bronze

Post by kryptix » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:38 pm

The married thing kind of gives itself away from the ring, but I found that female partners in particular seemed happy to talk about kids with me, so YMMV. I am a guy though so if your a girl that might also be an issue.

prs362

New

Post by prs362 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:52 pm

I'm a male and usually mentioned it, and I think it actually helped stimulate organic conversations. The mention of the wife would usually be followed by something like "Oh, what does your wife do," etc. If nothing else, it's a time filler in an otherwise awkward setting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:40 pm

Renzo wrote:
alex.feuerman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Are you female? If so, keep it to yourself. If you're male, on the other hand, it's a plus (makes you seem stable).
I'm torn on this - I'm engaged and my fiancé is back in my (notoriously insular) home market. Does the advantage of that strong tie outweigh the bias against married women, or should I take the ring off and not mention it? (I also have some work experience and family in the area as well.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Renzo wrote:
alex.feuerman wrote:
I'm torn on this - I'm engaged and my fiancé is back in my (notoriously insular) home market. Does the advantage of that strong tie outweigh the bias against married women, or should I take the ring off and not mention it? (I also have some work experience and family in the area as well.)
The ties definitely outweigh (though I'm not entirely convinced there is any bias against married women). I would actually lead with that when applying to your home market. However, don't mention your fiancé in interviews not in your hometown. Ties matter to nearly every employer (particularly outside of NY). A bias against married women is far more speculative.

Torney12

New

Post by Torney12 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
This is correct. If you are a female law student and already married, people are going eye you warily as a maternity leave risk. Politics are such that firms have to pay you during your maternity leave instead of firing you as they'd very often prefer, but providing full checks and benefits to people who aren't generating billable hours isn't a firm's idea of a smart expenditure.

If you are a male law student and married, on the other hand, then you are actually more attractive because we (firms) will probably have you by the balls. I have found that it really is true that married men put up with the most abuse and bill the most of any demographic because they are almost always their families' primary or even sole breadwinners.

kryptix

Bronze

Post by kryptix » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:36 pm

Torney12 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This is correct. If you are a female law student and already married, people are going eye you warily as a maternity leave risk. Politics are such that firms have to pay you during your maternity leave instead of firing you as they'd very often prefer, but providing full checks and benefits to people who aren't generating billable hours isn't a firm's idea of a smart expenditure.

If you are a male law student and married, on the other hand, then you are actually more attractive because we (firms) will probably have you by the balls. I have found that it really is true that married men put up with the most abuse and bill the most of any demographic because they are almost always their families' primary or even sole breadwinners.
Yeah nothing like thinking about the little one at home to keep you going when you think your going to collapse :). I do prefer to put in extended overtime from home though, whats the point of making more if you never get to see the kids...

Torney12

New

Post by Torney12 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:46 pm

Torney12 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I should clarify that I'm not saying that the original poster shouldn't tell firms that s/he is married. Unless you're planning to get divorced, it's better to be frank about your marital status and weed out firms where that might be a problem.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”