Seminar Paper as 2L Writing Sample? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DocHawkeye

Silver

Seminar Paper as 2L Writing Sample?

Post by DocHawkeye » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:34 pm

So I struck out on fall 2L OCI but am applying to a few firms that are interviewing on campus and off this spring. Many want a writing sample but everything I've done for my employers is covered by strict confidentiality agreements with them. Up until now, I have been using a memo I wrote for 1L legal writing but I think I've progressed since then and am wondering if it would be impermissible to use a short case note (roughly 20 pages) that I wrote for a seminar as my new writing sample. It addresses an issue in health care law in the context of certain constitutional claims. Thoughts?

eerie_erie

Bronze

Re: Seminar Paper as 2L Writing Sample?

Post by eerie_erie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:50 pm

Twenty pages might be a bit long, so I suggest that you choose an excerpt of it to use. If you choose to do this, include a 1-2 sentence introduction to the sample so they will know what you are talking about. Source: advice from career center office.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:54 pm

Dude 20 pages is waaaaay too long by at least 10 pages.

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:48 pm

To clarify - I assumed that I would have to chose an exerpt. The memo that I have used is about 15 pages.

linquest

Bronze

Post by linquest » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:38 pm

Most reviewers won't read past 10 pages. Firms prefer advocacy pieces to academic/neutral writings.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:41 pm

No other thoughts on this? My options for writing samples are a 1L objective memo, the seminar paper in question, or an appellate brief I wrote for a course in appellate ad (which is nearly 50 pages and hence would have to be excerpted as well). I don't think the brief represents my best work.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:42 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:No other thoughts on this? My options for writing samples are a 1L objective memo, the seminar paper in question, or an appellate brief I wrote for a course in appellate ad (which is nearly 50 pages and hence would have to be excerpted as well). I don't think the brief represents my best work.
Pick whichever writing sample you think is the best. Excerpt it down to length.

linquest

Bronze

Post by linquest » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:05 pm

I'd excerpt one or two argument sections in the Appellate Ad brief and edit it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”