Chance me - clerking Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chance me - clerking

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:46 pm

Top 10% at a lower T14, secondary journal, V3 this summer, good recs.

Do I have any chance at the SDNY/EDNY or CoA? Will being at a V3 give me a bump, or are nearly all V15 firms just viewed the same?
Clerkship data at my school is opaque at best, any thoughts helpful.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Re: Chance me - clerking

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:46 pm

Do you have local ties to NYC or does your school place particularly well there?

This is what the OCS at HLS says about someone roughly in the top 25-30% of the class:

Reach: fed Cir+ fed Distr. in popular markets
Target: fed district in smaller markets with ties + state supreme
Safety: fed specialty + fed magistrate + other state

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:45 pm

Much better at a V3 than a V5 or trashy V10.

Judges have taste you know.

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:47 pm

thesealocust wrote:Much better at a V3 than a V5 or trashy V10.

Wachtell lawyers have all the clerkships. V3 lawyers get their scraps.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:01 pm

Is "V3" even a thing?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:06 pm

I heard a story somewhere about a COA judge repeatedly confusing someone's V5 firm with Dewey in the interview.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:11 pm

+1. Beat me to it.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:33 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Is "V3" even a thing?
Mhm. People actively debate whether Skadden deserve to have more than 8 prestige points - it's pretty clear SOME of their NYC practices do, but definitely not all, and certainly not all of them nationally. So it sort of depends on if you're looking at it locally or nationally.

Anyway, federal hiring standards are much more relaxed for firms with an aggregate prestige index over 7, which catches a bit more than the V3, but federal judges have more discretion. Some set 8 as a soft floor but I've heard of a few who actually require 8.5, which is nuts.

So you're looking at V2, V3, V4, V5, and V7 as being meaningful distinctions. After that the prestige index doesn't have much real world impact until you hit about V23, but even there it's mostly about country club memberships and airline perks than actual hiring.

To put it another way for the OP:

Congratulations!

Based on your reaction to getting the offer, this is probably the best thing that could have ever happened to you. I encourage you to enjoy the summer and take accept their offer as nothing in the world will cure you of your prestige obsession quicker than some time at S&C.

During orientation, they'll give you an S&C shoulderbag and you'll wear it with the S&C logo facing outward so any other commuters in the know can see it and you'll just know that they're either impressed or envious. And that will make you happy and proud. And then you'll try to figure out the best way to ensure that you're sworn in as soon as possible after receiving your bar results because then you'll get the box full of business cards that say "Sullivan & Cromwell LLP" with your actual name underneath. You'll be giddy at the thought of casually passing one (mid-conversation) to some acquaintance from undergrad you've lost touch with.

You'll start working and you'll notice that there are an awful lot of "Farewell" emails and someone will tell you that the farewell emails can only contain 4 names at a time per firm policy because the partners decided sometime in 2004 that emails indicating 6 or 7 people were leaving the firm in a two week period might cause some unhelpful whispering. You'll talk to a midlevel associate who is super-psyched to work at S&C and you'll find out that he (not a lot of shes) lateralled from some firm that frankly you would never have considered working for (too TTT for you). When you get back to your office, this will trouble you a bit, you'll wonder if your own escutcheon is being blemished by the presence of this type of person (i.e., non-elite) at your S&C. But that feeling will pass as you'll find plenty of other like-minded first years who equally relish the prestige as you you head for a drink at Ulysses (shoulderbag logo facing outward).

Then you'll get staffed on your first big deal and you'll work late night after late night and then on the weekend and on to the next weekend and then on to the weekend when you had planned to go to a friend's wedding. And you won't go because the work has to get done and you have dues to pay (or so you'll be told). You'll get a little bit upset about this turn of events, but the arrival of those business cards will soften the blow.

You'll meet more and more laterals from firms that you would never work for (some you've never even heard of). You'll note in the farewell emails that some of the junior and midlevel associates leaving S&C are going to those very same firms. Survival of the fittest you'll say. But late at night, when the air conditioning clicks down from a barely perceptible hissing sound to complete silence, these things will bother you. But you'll tell yourself you're just tired and frustrated and anyway you have work to do.

You'll have lunch with Rodge and he'll tell you that business is good and that he's listening to associates' concerns about quality of life issues. You'll notice that some of the senior associates visibly roll their eyes at each other when this comes up, but you won't mind that much because, really, what other firm's managing partner regulalry has lunch with associates to hear their concerns (and takes notes!)

A few months will pass, a few marathon deals will happen, you'll have to re-schedule a vacation but you'll tell yourself that that is to be expected.

About a year in, a couple of your classmates will crack and start talking about how much the job sucks. They'll very likely have gone to Yale Law School. You'll joke that they couldn't hack it when they leave the firm for a clerkship, or an academic position or to go to a firm in another city.

Things will go on in this pattern and you'll notice the fact that you're working a lot harder than your friends who went to "peer" firms. At first you'll be proud of this and brag about it, but after a while you'll find yourself downplaying it. At least when you have the time to get out and socialize with your law school friends.

Something will happen: a partner will scream at you, a senior associate gunning for partner will blame you for her mistake, the partner will tell you that the trip to Europe your spouse meticulously planned just won't be able to happen (he'll be really sorry and will tell you a funny story about the exotic vacation he missed or cut short). Doesn't matter what, but you'll get really pissed and you'll start to take some of the 4 or 5 calls from headhunters that you'll receive every day at that point (vultures spell blood). They'll give you the names of firms that you laughed on in the days when you posted on the TLS board, but you'll find yourself looking into them. The headhunter will encourage to just listen to their offer and you'll consider doing so. But you won't leave because then you'd have to give up your business cards. And stop wearing the shoulder bag. And the bonus is only x months away so you'll start thinking about it then.

Until one day you won't be able to take it any more and you'll find yourself arranging to meet with people from a lightly regarded firm for a position in their New York office. And you'll worry that the TLS crowd will see you.

And you don't believe any of this will happen, but I suggest you print this out and keep it in the top desk of your drawer so late at night when you're feeling sorry for yourself, you can add to the list of reasons to be miserable this fact: someone told you this was going to happen and you thought that person was crazy.

[disclaimer: not original content, but was WAY too appropriate to not post with a cold-open]

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:51 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:23 am

OP here. Thanks to the poster who gave the HLS information, which is very helpful. I do have NY ties so hopefully that will help.

To the poster below, I'm glad you think you're so funny. I asked a legitimate question and you felt the need to twist this thread into something I didn't intend it to be. I realize "v3" is not a typical classification, but in my experience law students and practicing attorneys have given these firms and a few others extra prestige points. Does that mean they're better firms? No. Is that why I chose my firm? No. I only brought it up to gauge how clerks and judges view them, which again is a legitimate question.

All of higher education is based on prestige points, so don't lambast me for asking about it here.

And no, I'm not at s and c.
thesealocust wrote:
Mhm. People actively debate whether Skadden deserve to have more than 8 prestige points - it's pretty clear SOME of their NYC practices do, but definitely not all, and certainly not all of them nationally. So it sort of depends on if you're looking at it locally or nationally.

Anyway, federal hiring standards are much more relaxed for firms with an aggregate prestige index over 7, which catches a bit more than the V3, but federal judges have more discretion. Some set 8 as a soft floor but I've heard of a few who actually require 8.5, which is nuts.

So you're looking at V2, V3, V4, V5, and V7 as being meaningful distinctions. After that the prestige index doesn't have much real world impact until you hit about V23, but even there it's mostly about country club memberships and airline perks than actual hiring.

Congratulations!

Based on your reaction to getting the offer, this is probably the best thing that could have ever happened to you. I encourage you to enjoy the summer and take accept their offer as nothing in the world will cure you of your prestige obsession quicker than some time at S&C.

During orientation, they'll give you an S&C shoulderbag and you'll wear it with the S&C logo facing outward so any other commuters in the know can see it and you'll just know that they're either impressed or envious. And that will make you happy and proud. And then you'll try to figure out the best way to ensure that you're sworn in as soon as possible after receiving your bar results because then you'll get the box full of business cards that say "Sullivan & Cromwell LLP" with your actual name underneath. You'll be giddy at the thought of casually passing one (mid-conversation) to some acquaintance from undergrad you've lost touch with.

You'll start working and you'll notice that there are an awful lot of "Farewell" emails and someone will tell you that the farewell emails can only contain 4 names at a time per firm policy because the partners decided sometime in 2004 that emails indicating 6 or 7 people were leaving the firm in a two week period might cause some unhelpful whispering. You'll talk to a midlevel associate who is super-psyched to work at S&C and you'll find out that he (not a lot of shes) lateralled from some firm that frankly you would never have considered working for (too TTT for you). When you get back to your office, this will trouble you a bit, you'll wonder if your own escutcheon is being blemished by the presence of this type of person (i.e., non-elite) at your S&C. But that feeling will pass as you'll find plenty of other like-minded first years who equally relish the prestige as you you head for a drink at Ulysses (shoulderbag logo facing outward).

Then you'll get staffed on your first big deal and you'll work late night after late night and then on the weekend and on to the next weekend and then on to the weekend when you had planned to go to a friend's wedding. And you won't go because the work has to get done and you have dues to pay (or so you'll be told). You'll get a little bit upset about this turn of events, but the arrival of those business cards will soften the blow.

You'll meet more and more laterals from firms that you would never work for (some you've never even heard of). You'll note in the farewell emails that some of the junior and midlevel associates leaving S&C are going to those very same firms. Survival of the fittest you'll say. But late at night, when the air conditioning clicks down from a barely perceptible hissing sound to complete silence, these things will bother you. But you'll tell yourself you're just tired and frustrated and anyway you have work to do.

You'll have lunch with Rodge and he'll tell you that business is good and that he's listening to associates' concerns about quality of life issues. You'll notice that some of the senior associates visibly roll their eyes at each other when this comes up, but you won't mind that much because, really, what other firm's managing partner regulalry has lunch with associates to hear their concerns (and takes notes!)

A few months will pass, a few marathon deals will happen, you'll have to re-schedule a vacation but you'll tell yourself that that is to be expected.

About a year in, a couple of your classmates will crack and start talking about how much the job sucks. They'll very likely have gone to Yale Law School. You'll joke that they couldn't hack it when they leave the firm for a clerkship, or an academic position or to go to a firm in another city.

Things will go on in this pattern and you'll notice the fact that you're working a lot harder than your friends who went to "peer" firms. At first you'll be proud of this and brag about it, but after a while you'll find yourself downplaying it. At least when you have the time to get out and socialize with your law school friends.

Something will happen: a partner will scream at you, a senior associate gunning for partner will blame you for her mistake, the partner will tell you that the trip to Europe your spouse meticulously planned just won't be able to happen (he'll be really sorry and will tell you a funny story about the exotic vacation he missed or cut short). Doesn't matter what, but you'll get really pissed and you'll start to take some of the 4 or 5 calls from headhunters that you'll receive every day at that point (vultures spell blood). They'll give you the names of firms that you laughed on in the days when you posted on the TLS board, but you'll find yourself looking into them. The headhunter will encourage to just listen to their offer and you'll consider doing so. But you won't leave because then you'd have to give up your business cards. And stop wearing the shoulder bag. And the bonus is only x months away so you'll start thinking about it then.

Until one day you won't be able to take it any more and you'll find yourself arranging to meet with people from a lightly regarded firm for a position in their New York office. And you'll worry that the TLS crowd will see you.

And you don't believe any of this will happen, but I suggest you print this out and keep it in the top desk of your drawer so late at night when you're feeling sorry for yourself, you can add to the list of reasons to be miserable this fact: someone told you this was going to happen and you thought that person was crazy.

[disclaimer: not original content, but was WAY too appropriate to not post with a cold-open]

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:39 am

thesealocust wrote:

Congratulations!

I would have really believed you wrote that. Amazing.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:54 pm

IAFG wrote:

I heard a story somewhere about a COA judge repeatedly confusing someone's V5 firm with Dewey in the interview.
FLAME.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:38 pm

The only way a judge will care what firm you worked at (among the top 20-ish New York firms) is if he used to be a partner at one of those firms. Even then, my impression is that judges have absolutely no idea what firms law students consider "prestigious," nor do they care. Even insofar as they care, they seem to have very outdated / antiquated / idiosyncratic on which firms are "good."

To give you an example, the judge I interned for (who, mind you, used to be a partner at a big New York firm) seemed to think Cleary and Wilmer were the best possible firms to go to (even though he was not a partner at either). He loved his clerks from Cleary and Wilmer and interviewed tons of associates from these firms, even though he only hired alums and thus got resumes from associates at pretty much every New York firm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:20 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
IAFG wrote:

FLAME.
lol nope really happened. judges who are old and for whatever reason found themselves unwelcome at white shoe firms when they graduated (racial minority, woman, etc) tend not to be so impressed by white shoe law firms.

cidergirl

New

Post by cidergirl » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:50 am

thesealocust wrote:

Congratulations!

Thank you for this. It seriously makes my day.

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:23 am

So much <3 for Sealocust

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”