Federal Clerks and the Fiscal Cliff Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nevdash

Bronze

Federal Clerks and the Fiscal Cliff

Post by nevdash » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:03 pm

I know that the delayed spending cuts, if they go into effect on March 1, will have an adverse impact on incoming federal clerks. At best, we're facing furloughs and diminished security/support staff. But does anyone know if there's a chance clerk positions will be eliminated entirely? I've tried to read as much as I can on the issue, but most articles seem to refer to layoffs generally without mentioning which positions will be affected. I've also seen articles mention the fact that the judiciary already has a rough plan about how to implement the cuts, but again, no specifics. Should I be worried?

Anonymous User

Re: Federal Clerks and the Fiscal Cliff

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:50 pm

My judge (he's the chief for the district) says that chambers budgets (which is what we're paid out of) will be the very last thing hit. They'll start with the Clerk's Office, case managers, etc. before they get to us.

So I'm not worried. Yet.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:18 pm

My impression was that the greatest amount of cuts would be coming out of defense? Which doesn't mean, of course, that clerks couldn't also be affected. But clerks are pretty integral to most chambers, so it would take a lot to get rid of them. (I also tend to think that if they had to make such cuts, they'd cut future hiring of clerks rather than getting rid of ones they've already hired, though that may be naive. :wink: I know that obviously biglaw didn't follow that principle, but biglaw staffing is quite different - for instance, the work of the courts doesn't disappear in a bad economy the way work for big law firms did, and in chambers, you know you're losing current clerks.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:21 pm

My understanding is that law clerks are considered essential personnel so we would be staying on (and getting paid as expected). They judiciary would grind to a halt otherwise...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”