Writing Sample for COA internship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which writing sample to use for Court of Appeals internship

Memo written as RA for professor w/o much legal analysis
No votes
Long LR comment
11%
Full Appellate Brief
22%
Shortened Appellate Brief
67%

Total votes: 9

Anonymous User

Writing Sample for COA internship

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:56 pm

Applying for a COA internship for 1/2 summer and I am trying to figure out what would be best to use as a writing sample. I have 3 options: 1) I have been using a memo I wrote for a professor I RA'd for, but it doesn't have much in the way of legal analysis. 2) I could use my LR comment, but it is long and not really "legal writing." 3) I could use my Appellate Brief which I got a good grade on, but I would probably have to cut out facts, procedural background, etc. Thoughts?

Second question - If there isn't a max page limit for writing sample on the application, should I still abide by the 10 page rule of thumb? I am not talking about sending in a 30 page writing sample, but my appellate brief w/ statement of facts, case, etc. is 16 pages.

Thanks for help.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Writing Sample for COA internship

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:02 pm

Use what shows the most legal analysis, which, it sounds like, is your appellate brief. I would stick with the 10pp rule of thumb - if they want to see the rest they'll ask you for it (won't happen though). You can summarize briefly whatever you have to cut in a cover page.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:12 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Use what shows the most legal analysis, which, it sounds like, is your appellate brief. I would stick with the 10pp rule of thumb - if they want to see the rest they'll ask you for it (won't happen though). You can summarize briefly whatever you have to cut in a cover page.
OP here - Looks like shortened brief it is. If I am cutting things out, should I put something in the WS like [Omitted], or just explain in the cover letter that all parts except the issue presented and the argument have been removed? Thanks for the help

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:47 pm

OP one last time - nvm that previous question, it was dumb. :oops:

Thanks for the help, everyone

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”