What Should I Do Post-Startup? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sparts1

New

What Should I Do Post-Startup?

Post by sparts1 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:32 pm

My startup has not failed or sold, but if either were to occur, how would I get back into the legal field? I would love it if the company were to be a raging success, but just in case, I was wondering how to get back into the legal field since I did not do any of the traditional law school stuff (SA, internship, moot court, etc).

Here are some stats:

- top 25% @ top 50 law school
- co-founder of Y Combinator startup
- officer position at startup, but not acting as GC
- worked in RE and RE Finance law for 2 years prior to startup, but left during school to pursue the startup
- would like to end up in DC/FL market, though am open to Silicon Valley, which is where I am now
Last edited by sparts1 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johndhi

Bronze

Re: What Should I Do Post-Startup?

Post by johndhi » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:28 pm

I'm not best-suited to answer this but I'll try. Congrats on getting endorsed by Y C.

how did you work in real estate prior to the startup, but "left during school to pursue the startup"? Does that mean you didn't graduate from law school? that you were working as a lawyer WHILE in law school? confused, but will assume you have a law degree.

By "DC/FL" do you mean either Washington, DC, or Florida?

What I would do is talk to your legal connections. Did you work with WSGR in the Valley? See what their attorneys think of your position. I'd also recommend seeking out classmates from law school in the areas you'd like to practice. As for DC, consider federal administrative agencies with practices in the commercial sector, like the FTC.

sparts1

New

Re: What Should I Do Post-Startup?

Post by sparts1 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:30 pm

No - didn't have law degree. Was working in RE Finance Law as a paralegal when accepted to YC. Finished Law School while working on the startup. Would love to work in the DC/FL area. Have a couple of contacts at WSGR, so will definitely ping them. I like the people I know from there.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”