Need help with Public Defender Interview Questions Please =) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lowpro7day

New

Need help with Public Defender Interview Questions Please =)

Post by lowpro7day » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:54 pm

hey some of these ones are tough, so i was wondering if any of you guys have encountered these or know the proper answer?

You have a client who tells you he is leaving town and never returning. You have 30 days til the sentencing hearing. What do you do?

Your client admits to you guilt on child moelstation charges but wants to plead not guilty. Would you be willing to impeach the child's testimony on the stand even though you know that child is telling the truth, and by doing so, you will get favorable results fro your client while also further traumatizing the child?

Second interview tomorrow at Broward County PD in Florida. Would love any tips!

Cinderella

New

Re: Need help with Public Defender Interview Questions Please =)

Post by Cinderella » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:25 pm

lowpro7day wrote:hey some of these ones are tough, so i was wondering if any of you guys have encountered these or know the proper answer?

You have a client who tells you he is leaving town and never returning. You have 30 days til the sentencing hearing. What do you do?

Your client admits to you guilt on child moelstation charges but wants to plead not guilty. Would you be willing to impeach the child's testimony on the stand even though you know that child is telling the truth, and by doing so, you will get favorable results fro your client while also further traumatizing the child?

Second interview tomorrow at Broward County PD in Florida. Would love any tips!
1) Tell his ass to stay

2) Yes. Only acceptable answer.

ETA: I guess I should explain. You tell him to stay because leaving the jurisdiction would be an additional crime, if he ever got arrested again for anything, no judge would let him out on bail, and because it's unethical to tell him to dip. You impeach the kid/defend the child molester because as a PD, you have to believe that if the government can't prove it's case, then your client should be set free, regardless of whether he "actually" did it. If you don't believe that, then you shouldn't be a PD.
Last edited by Cinderella on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

purr se

New

Re: Need help with Public Defender Interview Questions Please =)

Post by purr se » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:29 pm

/thread

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”