Panel Interview Tips Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Panel Interview Tips

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:56 pm

Have a firm CB this week with several two person panel style interviews. Curious if anyone has any tips about how to handle these compared to standard one on ones.

In particular I am curious if it matters to spread time and questions equally between them even if it might not be organic (i.e. one is easier to speak to). Or if they are in totally different practice areas, to what extent would you spend time asking them about their personal business potentially running the risk of boring the other one, or leaving them feeling unengaged.

Sorry if this is neurotic, have to do my due diligence here.

ph14

Gold

Re: Panel Interview Tips

Post by ph14 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have a firm CB this week with several two person panel style interviews. Curious if anyone has any tips about how to handle these compared to standard one on ones.

In particular I am curious if it matters to spread time and questions equally between them even if it might not be organic (i.e. one is easier to speak to). Or if they are in totally different practice areas, to what extent would you spend time asking them about their personal business potentially running the risk of boring the other one, or leaving them feeling unengaged.

Sorry if this is neurotic, have to do my due diligence here.
It's kind of weird. Be sure to address the person who asked you the question, but also make eye contact and speak to the other person. If they're different practice areas, then it would probably be more natural to direct more questions to the person in the practice area you're in, but be sure to ask more general questions that can apply to both.

They can differ based on the dynamics of the interviewers. If one is a partner and one is an associate, the partner might do most of the talking. So you will have to see how it plays out.

Just relax though. I don't see how you would prepare or approach an interview any differently. Just be sure to have questions applicable to any 2 members of the firm (which you should have questions of general applicability anyways).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”