1L SA and Externship Timing in Texas
Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:13 pm
Short version:
If a judge calls with an externship offer, can I turn it down if I recently received a 1L SA offer? Or, assuming that the judge allows it, am I required or expected to make an "offer" to split my summer? I understand I can't renege once I've accepted, but I think it's a little fuzzier here.
Long version:
I have several firm interviews in Dallas and I am fairly confident in landing an SA (mix of school, ties, connections and offers pre-grades) but I still want to be safe and apply for judicial externships as well. However, I would really hate to give up a few weeks worth of SA money (paying close to sticker) and split my summer because I had to. Should I just wait to apply to Texas judges (state/federal) closer to the end of January or is that too late?
I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, I just want to make sure I'm doing things the right way. Thanks.
If a judge calls with an externship offer, can I turn it down if I recently received a 1L SA offer? Or, assuming that the judge allows it, am I required or expected to make an "offer" to split my summer? I understand I can't renege once I've accepted, but I think it's a little fuzzier here.
Long version:
I have several firm interviews in Dallas and I am fairly confident in landing an SA (mix of school, ties, connections and offers pre-grades) but I still want to be safe and apply for judicial externships as well. However, I would really hate to give up a few weeks worth of SA money (paying close to sticker) and split my summer because I had to. Should I just wait to apply to Texas judges (state/federal) closer to the end of January or is that too late?
I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, I just want to make sure I'm doing things the right way. Thanks.