How late am I? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How late am I?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:26 pm

2L, top 20% at t40 SE school, Law Review. So, officially all of my lines in the water have come up blank and I am just trying to figure out how late/ screwed I am in finding something. I get that biglaw is gone (I struck out on those in OCI), but I am more interested in small to mid-sized (prefer around 30 lawyers) in corp or real estate in a mid-sized or big market. Someone told me that smaller firms really don't start looking until the new year, but I am just checking to see if this is true. Can anyone give me an idea about this? Thanks

snowpeach06

Gold

Re: How late am I?

Post by snowpeach06 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L, top 20% at t40 SE school, Law Review. So, officially all of my lines in the water have come up blank and I am just trying to figure out how late/ screwed I am in finding something. I get that biglaw is gone (I struck out on those in OCI), but I am more interested in small to mid-sized (prefer around 30 lawyers) in corp or real estate in a mid-sized or big market. Someone told me that smaller firms really don't start looking until the new year, but I am just checking to see if this is true. Can anyone give me an idea about this? Thanks
After my 1L year I got a small firm job in early May. I wouldn't freak out too much. Smaller firms do often wait to do their hiring til' they see what their needs are.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:49 pm

There is nothing to gain from this question. The question shouldn't be "how fucked am I" but rather "what should I be doing," and admiring your problem isn't on the list of things you should be doing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:01 pm

IAFG wrote:There is nothing to gain from this question. The question shouldn't be "how fucked am I" but rather "what should I be doing," and admiring your problem isn't on the list of things you should be doing.
OP here - I get this and I do not want to give off the image that I am sitting in a darkened room with a shotgun and a bottle of jack daniels (well.... at least no shotgun...). Self-pity isn't my thing. I am just trying to reassess and figure how I need to go forward, where I should be applying, how to go about it, etc. Maybe the better question would be if anyone had thoughts/ advice on that?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:06 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2L, top 20% at t40 SE school, Law Review. So, officially all of my lines in the water have come up blank and I am just trying to figure out how late/ screwed I am in finding something. I get that biglaw is gone (I struck out on those in OCI), but I am more interested in small to mid-sized (prefer around 30 lawyers) in corp or real estate in a mid-sized or big market. Someone told me that smaller firms really don't start looking until the new year, but I am just checking to see if this is true. Can anyone give me an idea about this? Thanks
After my 1L year I got a small firm job in early May. I wouldn't freak out too much. Smaller firms do often wait to do their hiring til' they see what their needs are.
Exactly same thing happened to me.

Nailjohnj

Bronze

Post by Nailjohnj » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Like the OP, I'm also interested in mid-sized firms (15-40 lawyers), can anyone talk to their hiring dates for 2Ls? Is it more fluid/ later like small firms or early like biglaw?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”