Swing Clerks for Bankruptcy Court? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Swing Clerks for Bankruptcy Court?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:41 pm

I've heard the term swing clerk in relation to some bankruptcy courts (d. del. and d.n.j.). Does anyone know anything about this and whether swing clerks are hired as part of the regular bankruptcy clerk process? Any advice would be helpful!

Anonymous User

Re: Swing Clerks for Bankruptcy Court?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:01 pm

I called and talked to the D. Del. clerks about this around September. I believe that there will be an OSCAR posting put up. My understanding is that they haven't hired swing clerks yet.

Anonymous User

Re: Swing Clerks for Bankruptcy Court?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:19 pm

I am presently clerking in Bankruptcy Court. Generally speaking the swing clerks are hired on in between terms for indeterminate amounts of time (I think both of ours have been here a little over a year at this point), and they assist multiple judges instead of just one. I believe that you list it on your resume as "Clerked for the United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of State" instead of "Clerked for Judge ___, United S..." which means it's a bit less preftigious when you're applying for jobs than a regular clerkship. That said, if you're clerking in Bankruptcy Court for the PRESTIEGE, you're barking up the wrong tree anyhow.

If you're genuinely interested in bankruptcy law and not just grasping at straws because you struck out at OCI, then I definitely recommend taking this job if you get the chance. Swing clerks get a chance to work for multiple judges, which means you're exposed to a few different styles and methods, which can get confusing as you're learning the job, but it's actually great training. It's a fantastic learning experience, and it will prepare you really well for bankruptcy practice.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”