Clerks: Background Check Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerks: Background Check

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:43 pm

I found a number of threads that discuss this, but not in great detail. For current clerks, how extensive was your background check? Did it also involve a credit check? Was it an SF-86 form requiring employment and references all the way back until your 18th birthday? When did they conduct the background check and how long did it take? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Clerks: Background Check

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:54 pm

Not extensive at all - in fact, I'm not sure they actually checked anything. The only thing I know they did was run my fingerprints. Otherwise, I filled out an AO-78 form, which asks about convictions, being fired, and being delinquent on a federal debt. I submitted it a little less than a month before I started. I can't find anything that suggests a credit check was involved.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not extensive at all - in fact, I'm not sure they actually checked anything. The only thing I know they did was run my fingerprints. Otherwise, I filled out an AO-78 form, which asks about convictions, being fired, and being delinquent on a federal debt. I submitted it a little less than a month before I started. I can't find anything that suggests a credit check was involved.
This is correct for the most part. The one exception is if you'll be clerking for a judge who has a terrorism case docketed, or routinely handles cases involving national security, you'll be subjected to an SF-86 and the whole shebang (FBI interview, government calls everyone you list as having known you at past addresses, asked about drug history, etc).

But that's relatively rare - happens occasionally in DC, and sometimes in NY, not really anywhere else for the most part.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:13 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not extensive at all - in fact, I'm not sure they actually checked anything. The only thing I know they did was run my fingerprints. Otherwise, I filled out an AO-78 form, which asks about convictions, being fired, and being delinquent on a federal debt. I submitted it a little less than a month before I started. I can't find anything that suggests a credit check was involved.
This is correct for the most part. The one exception is if you'll be clerking for a judge who has a terrorism case docketed, or routinely handles cases involving national security, you'll be subjected to an SF-86 and the whole shebang (FBI interview, government calls everyone you list as having known you at past addresses, asked about drug history, etc).

But that's relatively rare - happens occasionally in DC, and sometimes in NY, not really anywhere else for the most part.
A judge can opt to have a credit check ran. Some do, most don't.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:41 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:

True. My chambers has a relevant case pending (not in NY or DC). However, because it's expensive to get a clearance, and very little on the case is likely to happen this year, and my co-clerk is permanent, my judge decided not to have me get a clearance. As with so many other things, depends on the judge/chambers!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”