Hiring Research Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dkb17xzx

Bronze

Hiring Research

Post by dkb17xzx » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:13 am

0L Disclaimer - if this is not the correct forum or if I shouldn't be positing here, sorry / feel free to move it.

came across this article in Science News about hiring preferences at big law, consulting, banks, etc.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic ... _coworkers

Here's the actual study:
http://www.asanet.org/journals/ASR/Dec12ASRFeature.pdf

cinephile

Gold

Re: Hiring Research

Post by cinephile » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:04 pm

Most law students are aware of this. Hence the interests section on your resume.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:02 am

cinephile wrote:Most law students are aware of this. Hence the interests section on your resume.
I dont have an interest section :(

Uncle.Joe

Bronze

Post by Uncle.Joe » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:56 am

I would suggest adding one if you don't have one. Not having one definitely hurt me in OCI. Also, your interests do not have to be yachting or wine connoisseur, putting down NFL or the like is fine. Its just an escape hatch for interviewers when they are bored of asking the same question.

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:24 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
cinephile wrote:Most law students are aware of this. Hence the interests section on your resume.
I dont have an interest section :(
I didn't either, as my work history was too long. I found that they just instead asked me about what I like to do in my free time. I don't think it was the lack of an interest section but rather the overall impression I left that helped make their decisions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:46 am

I will say that I spent almost an entire callback discussing nothing but sailing (one of the interests I listed) with a fellow sailor. Not only did I not get the job, but the whole time I was there I was wondering why he wasn't asking me anything substantive or telling me about the firm. So there's no magic solution.

perfecttender

New

Post by perfecttender » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:59 am

dkb17xzx wrote:0L Disclaimer - if this is not the correct forum or if I shouldn't be positing here, sorry / feel free to move it.

came across this article in Science News about hiring preferences at big law, consulting, banks, etc.

Here's the actual study:

Thanks for posting this. Everyone knows this already but it's nice to see some academic support. I'm a new associate at a big firm and I blog about this on my tumblr (you can look on my profile for the link). I'll say that in my practice area which is m&a, the preferred personality type is more "bro" and fratty. I am neither and it feels really isolating to be in that environment. Thanks for posting again. If you decide to go to law school, best of luck (though I discourage law school at this point -- practicing law is NOT at all like "learning the law" you do in school). happy to answer any questions you have about law firm life. feel free to shoot me a direct message. best of luck.

wbrother

Bronze

Post by wbrother » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:07 am

perfecttender wrote:the preferred personality type is more "bro" and fratty.
I want your life.

perfecttender

New

Post by perfecttender » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:17 am

wbrother wrote:
I want your life.
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not. I will say that on the one hand, a more "bro" and fratty culture does make it less formal at time, which is nice. On the other hand, if you're not a "bro" like I am, you just have to fake it all the time. It gets to be tiring and you go through your day not having many genuine interactions with people. It's not that I want a best friend to come out of my work situation but it would be nice to feel like I can relate to someone who works in the same place (I spend at least 11-13 hours a day in the office).

Another thing: pretty much all firms are all about money. EVERYTHING is about money. Because we're not white shoe or super prestigious, we don't get as much sophisticated work. So, guys who are fratty make it rain simply because they're friends with a lot of people. And a fair number of the clients we work with aren't great clients and don't necessarily always pay. Just something to consider. Google "m&a lawyers are d-bags" for how douchey lawyers can be.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:28 pm

perfecttender wrote:
dkb17xzx wrote:0L Disclaimer - if this is not the correct forum or if I shouldn't be positing here, sorry / feel free to move it.

Here's the actual study:

Thanks for posting this. Everyone knows this already but it's nice to see some academic support. I'm a new associate at a big firm and I blog about this on my tumblr (you can look on my profile for the link). I'll say that in my practice area which is m&a, the preferred personality type is more "bro" and fratty. I am neither and it feels really isolating to be in that environment. Thanks for posting again. If you decide to go to law school, best of luck (though I discourage law school at this point -- practicing law is NOT at all like "learning the law" you do in school). happy to answer any questions you have about law firm life. feel free to shoot me a direct message. best of luck.
PM'ed

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:50 pm

So people like to hire people they like?
How is this news?

wbrother

Bronze

Post by wbrother » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:56 pm

perfecttender wrote:
wbrother wrote:
I want your life.
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not. I will say that on the one hand, a more "bro" and fratty culture does make it less formal at time, which is nice. On the other hand, if you're not a "bro" like I am, you just have to fake it all the time. It gets to be tiring and you go through your day not having many genuine interactions with people. It's not that I want a best friend to come out of my work situation but it would be nice to feel like I can relate to someone who works in the same place (I spend at least 11-13 hours a day in the office).

Another thing: pretty much all firms are all about money. EVERYTHING is about money. Because we're not white shoe or super prestigious, we don't get as much sophisticated work. So, guys who are fratty make it rain simply because they're friends with a lot of people. And a fair number of the clients we work with aren't great clients and don't necessarily always pay. Just something to consider. Google "m&a lawyers are d-bags" for how douchey lawyers can be.
Definitely not being sarcastic. I wouldn't consider myself a bro, but I find that I get along with them very well. I imagine spending multiple years in an office with a bunch of them could potentially get old, but it would definitely be my top choice over anything. I'm gunning for PD though, so I guess I won't get into the M&A bro crowd.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”