Heard Back for 1L SA Position Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:58 pm

Got offered a half day interview (callback???) for Fulbright and J. Out of the blue phone call, no email beforehand or screening interview, just when can you come for an interview.

Question. The location is in Texas but I dont want to work there for my career, rather I wanna be in DC. Will working in Texas this summer hurt me for 2L SA in DC? On a related note, if I get a DOJ thing in DC, would it be better to take that over a SA in TExas? I just dont want to hurt my chances for a DC SA 2L year

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got offered a half day interview (callback???) for Fulbright and J. Out of the blue phone call, no email beforehand or screening interview, just when can you come for an interview.

Question. The location is in Texas but I dont want to work there for my career, rather I wanna be in DC. Will working in Texas this summer hurt me for 2L SA in DC? On a related note, if I get a DOJ thing in DC, would it be better to take that over a SA in TExas? I just dont want to hurt my chances for a DC SA 2L year
No, and your call. I'd take the paid position anyday, personally.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got offered a half day interview (callback???) for Fulbright and J. Out of the blue phone call, no email beforehand or screening interview, just when can you come for an interview.

Same phone call. What school you at? PM me if you want

To answer your question... I would say the DOJ thing will help if you dont have ties to DC whereas the Texas thing will not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:48 pm

Just an FYI, if you get a 1L at FJ, and accept, you bind yourself to do at least half your 2L summer there as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Just an FYI, if you get a 1L at FJ, and accept, you bind yourself to do at least half your 2L summer there as well.
OP here, thanks, didnt know that, might be a problem if i get dc 2L SA

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:03 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Also got a couple snail mail. My first snail mail ding from an office I was pretty hopeful for too
Legit ding or sorry no 1Ls ding?
Yeah, it was legit. Seemed to imply they were only looking for minority candidates without saying it. I am at a T14, have WE in that market and had a perfect GPA from the major university there... so I dont think it was an individual thing.
Same anon. Okay. I haven't had any legit dings yet, just a handful of no 1Ls. But I am also minority, so I'm not precluded from that consideration.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:58 pm

OP here. Got an issue

So I'm not planning on being back to texas over break and FJ isnt paying me to go so I have to pay for the plane ticket (I'm in the northeast). FJ said to call back by the end of the week to let them know of my plans

However, I also applied to Baker Botts and Vinson in texas and from what I hear, I may have a decent chance of getting an interview there.

But thats the problem, I dont wanna book a ticket to texas now since if I do get a interview from them I have to change my flight plans entirely. Is there any way for me to talk to FJ about this (like, can I actually call them and tell them this)? To either buy more time or something...

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
2014 wrote:Personalized partner response with invitation to schedule a visit to a firm where I'll be introduced to some attorneys and learn more about the firm.

Sounds like a kind of sort of call back, I'll take it :)
Congratulations! What firm (or at least what city)? I'm interested in Indy, Stl or KC.
One of those, PM me if you like

Grats to those guys with FJ interviews too. I haven't heard from them but would not be willing to fly myself to Texas anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. Got an issue

So I'm not planning on being back to texas over break and FJ isnt paying me to go so I have to pay for the plane ticket (I'm in the northeast). FJ said to call back by the end of the week to let them know of my plans

However, I also applied to Baker Botts and Vinson in texas and from what I hear, I may have a decent chance of getting an interview there.

But thats the problem, I dont wanna book a ticket to texas now since if I do get a interview from them I have to change my flight plans entirely. Is there any way for me to talk to FJ about this (like, can I actually call them and tell them this)? To either buy more time or something...
I would not. Sounds like it would give off the vibe "dont want to fly out there just to interview with you"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. Got an issue

You might have better luck calling BB & Vinson and telling them you're going to be in Texas on/around [whenever you arrange to go to FJ], and asking if they'd be interested in meeting with you at that time. Caveat: I've never done this with firms, but I know it works for clerkship interviews.

seanPtheB

Bronze

Post by seanPtheB » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I asked an OCS person about this at my school and she laughed at me and said they can't make you come back for 2L summer-she said what that means is you can't get a permanent offer without going back. So not sure this is true. Other people have knowledge on this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. Got an issue

You might have better luck calling BB & Vinson and telling them you're going to be in Texas on/around [whenever you arrange to go to FJ], and asking if they'd be interested in meeting with you at that time. Caveat: I've never done this with firms, but I know it works for clerkship interviews.
OP here, thanks. This is interesting, will probably ask my OCS person and see if this is ok and I'll do it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:23 pm

OP here, got Baker Botts today. Same thing, texas market

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:03 pm

Rejected by clifford chance (NY)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rejected by Clifford Chance (NY)
i don't understand, I applied there right on the 1st and haven't heard a thing from them as well as about 35 others

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:56 pm

Also rejected by clifford chance NY. YHS student with dual (European and US) citizenship. I'd be interested to know if anyone here who hasn't yet been rejected gets an interview. The email didn't explicitly state they don't hire 1Ls (as most of the rejection emails seem to).

koalatriste

Bronze

Post by koalatriste » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:14 pm

CC NY hires 1Ls. FYI.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Also rejected by Clifford Chance NY. YHS student with dual (European and US) citizenship. I'd be interested to know if anyone here who hasn't yet been rejected gets an interview. The email didn't explicitly state they don't hire 1Ls (as most of the rejection emails seem to).
Who did you reach out to? Ms Conlon?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Also rejected by Clifford Chance NY. YHS student with dual (European and US) citizenship. I'd be interested to know if anyone here who hasn't yet been rejected gets an interview. The email didn't explicitly state they don't hire 1Ls (as most of the rejection emails seem to).
Who did you reach out to? Ms Conlon?
Yes.

Thanks for the info, koalatriste.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:36 pm

seanPtheB wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I asked an OCS person about this at my school and she laughed at me and said they can't make you come back for 2L summer-she said what that means is you can't get a permanent offer without going back. So not sure this is true. Other people have knowledge on this?
Pretty sure you shouldn't fuck with a big firm if they make you sign any kind of contract.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:50 pm

Writing sample request from V&E. Wanted to wait till after finals to get that ready... darn

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Writing sample request from V&E. Wanted to wait till after finals to get that ready... darn
same here, sent it in since I had one already for the DOJ stuff I was applying for.

Also, I have not yet been dinged from CC in NY though I don't know why. No connections to NY really and average resume

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Writing sample request from V&E. Wanted to wait till after finals to get that ready... darn
same here, sent it in since I had one already for the DOJ stuff I was applying for.

Also, I have not yet been dinged from CC in NY though I don't know why. No connections to NY really and average resume
School range?

To the anon who is done, how long was your writing sample you sent? I had to cut out my summary of facts to get it below 10 pages, is this okay?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:51 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

School range?

To the anon who is done, how long was your writing sample you sent? I had to cut out my summary of facts to get it below 10 pages, is this okay?
\

diff. anon. for mine I had a cover page that gave a one-two sentence description of the relevant facts, and just gave them some of the body paragraphs for some context with citations.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:54 am

I'm the ANON who was done with the writing sample

Mine was 10 pages long (my memo) and I didnt redact at all (the DOJ requirements were 10 pgs long so it fit)....but i did say in my email that if it was too long I could redact...VE emailed me back 5 min later saying thanks and basically that was the end of it

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”