Heard Back for 1L SA Position Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Grades request from Sullivan & Cromwell (NY)
aka that's all they care about.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:05 pm

What should the header of the email read?
What if you've been referred?

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:32 pm

dingbat wrote:What should the header of the email read?
if you've been referred the first line after the greeting should say , "john doe encouraged me to contact you..."

whatever subject you want. in my experience, they've read that it's for a 1L and they respond saying nope anyways. don't think it matter.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:33 pm

goldeneye wrote:
dingbat wrote:What should the header of the email read?
if you've been referred the first line after the greeting should say , "john doe encouraged me to contact you..."

whatever subject you want. in my experience, they've read that it's for a 1L and they respond saying nope anyways. don't think it matter.
That much I understand. Obviously the first thing to mention is that you've been referred, rather than just mailing blindly. I'm just not sure what to put in the subject line.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:51 pm

"School X 1L seeking 2013 Summer Associate position"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Does it look bad to send a resume and cover letter to a firm's recruiting contact via e-mail when they have an online application? Oops..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does it look bad to send a resume and cover letter to a firm's recruiting contact via e-mail when they have an online application? Oops..
I did this and they just sent an email saying "Fill out the form, stupid." Who knows if it matters.

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:50 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. Just fill out the form.
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does it look bad to send a resume and cover letter to a firm's recruiting contact via e-mail when they have an online application? Oops..
I did this and they just sent an email saying "Fill out the form, stupid." Who knows if it matters.

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:54 pm

I recommend always putting the referrer's name in the subject line. Something like "Student inquiry - referred by First Last" or "Introduction - referred by First Last"
It has worked well for me every time, but others may disagree.
dingbat wrote:I'm just not sure what to put in the subject line.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

renardthecrocs

New

Post by renardthecrocs » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:09 pm

Got my first ding today and my first invite to a holiday party. Was on a pretty big high for all of 30 seconds until I realized when the holiday party was... the day before my conlaw final. And of course it's in a totally different market from where I go to school so it's out of the question. Sad times, but at least the offer was extended.

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:10 pm

This may be obvious, but don't forget to decline. And sorry about the ding.
renardthecrocs wrote:Got my first ding today and my first invite to a holiday party. Was on a pretty big high for all of 30 seconds until I realized when the holiday party was... the day before my conlaw final. And of course it's in a totally different market from where I go to school so it's out of the question. Sad times, but at least the offer was extended.

renardthecrocs

New

Post by renardthecrocs » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:13 pm

Agent wrote:This may be obvious, but don't forget to decline. And sorry about the ding.
renardthecrocs wrote:Got my first ding today and my first invite to a holiday party. Was on a pretty big high for all of 30 seconds until I realized when the holiday party was... the day before my conlaw final. And of course it's in a totally different market from where I go to school so it's out of the question. Sad times, but at least the offer was extended.
Yep, going to graciously decline later tonight. The ding's alright; felt kind of like an accomplishment to get my first ding of many over the next year or 3.

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:14 pm

The fact that you've already started reaching out to potential employers puts you ahead of most 1Ls I know.
renardthecrocs wrote:
Agent wrote:This may be obvious, but don't forget to decline. And sorry about the ding.
Yep, going to graciously decline later tonight. The ding's alright; felt kind of like an accomplishment to get my first ding of many over the next year or 3.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:40 pm

Agent wrote:The fact that you've already started reaching out to potential employers puts you ahead of most 1Ls I know.
Yeah, all you guys just keep it up. At this point it is all about persistence. Pre-grades you are all tabula rasa. Use this to your advantage, even if it just ends with a rejection or firm asking you to wait for grades.... If you just wait until after grades come out to start you will be hosed in regards to most SAs.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Gorki wrote:
Agent wrote:The fact that you've already started reaching out to potential employers puts you ahead of most 1Ls I know.
Yeah, all you guys just keep it up. At this point it is all about persistence. Pre-grades you are all tabula rasa. Use this to your advantage, even if it just ends with a rejection or firm asking you to wait for grades.... If you just wait until after grades come out to start you will be hosed in regards to most SAs.
No.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Tagging for future reference. Not starting to send things out until after finals. Already have resume's, labels, and everything all set, just need personalized cover letters and such.

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:46 pm

ph14 wrote:
Gorki wrote:
No.
Okay maybe not at all schools. But everyone I know that waited to submit until OUR grades came out (in late late January) missed the boat on biglaw SAs, and a ton of other stuff. I am sure they are out there, but from my own personal experience I just wish I woulda spent whatever downtime I had during exam period as well as during winter break to apply.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:47 pm

when a place says, impressive credentials but no 1Ls, please definitely stay in touch and apply next summer. is that all bs. they did use my nickname and not the one just on my application so i assume they read it

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:03 pm

Sorry, pretty much all rejection letters say something like that. I expect that you're now "on the grid" though, for whatever that's worth. If you land an interview for 2L summer, you can mention your previous application as evidence of your serious and (relatively) longstanding interest in the firm. That approach has helped me in interviews before.
Anonymous User wrote:when a place says, impressive credentials but no 1Ls, please definitely stay in touch and apply next summer. is that all bs. they did use my nickname and not the one just on my application so i assume they read it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:15 pm

Gorki wrote:Okay maybe not at all schools. But everyone I know that waited to submit until OUR grades came out (in late late January) missed the boat on biglaw SAs, and a ton of other stuff. I am sure they are out there, but from my own personal experience I just wish I woulda spent whatever downtime I had during exam period as well as during winter break to apply.
As someone who submitted before and after grades to most major markets: it didn't seem to make a difference. The 1L SA I eventually got was from after grades (same for my friends who got 1L SAs as well).

But, having looked through the 1L job thread last year, it did seem like some people were getting December interviews. I can't really extrapolate for 1L SAs at large, but I do think there are a fair share of them that will be foreclosed by not applying Dec 1. I doubt it is a majority but I really don't know.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:15 pm

Agent wrote:Sorry, pretty much all rejection letters say something like that. I expect that you're now "on the grid" though, for whatever that's worth. If you land an interview for 2L summer, you can mention your previous application as evidence of your serious and (relatively) longstanding interest in the firm. That approach has helped me in interviews before.
Anonymous User wrote:when a place says, impressive credentials but no 1Ls, please definitely stay in touch and apply next summer. is that all bs. they did use my nickname and not the one just on my application so i assume they read it
This. Though "on the grid" can backfire if you are applying to multiple/different offices and each office can pull up your app to the other and see your cover letter professing your undying love of a different city.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:18 pm

Personalized partner response with invitation to schedule a visit to a firm where I'll be introduced to some attorneys and learn more about the firm.

Sounds like a kind of sort of call back, I'll take it :)

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:20 pm

Congrats!
2014 wrote:Personalized partner response with invitation to schedule a visit to a firm where I'll be introduced to some attorneys and learn more about the firm.

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:20 pm

Amusing. +1.
bk187 wrote:
Agent wrote:Sorry, pretty much all rejection letters say something like that. I expect that you're now "on the grid" though, for whatever that's worth. If you land an interview for 2L summer, you can mention your previous application as evidence of your serious and (relatively) longstanding interest in the firm. That approach has helped me in interviews before.
This. Though "on the grid" can backfire if you are applying to multiple/different offices and each office can pull up your app to the other and see your cover letter professing your undying love of a different city.

renardthecrocs

New

Post by renardthecrocs » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:28 pm

2014 wrote:Personalized partner response with invitation to schedule a visit to a firm where I'll be introduced to some attorneys and learn more about the firm.

Aces!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”