Islamic Law on Transcript Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Debauchery

New

Islamic Law on Transcript

Post by Debauchery » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:37 pm

Hello folks,

I'm considering taking a course called Islamic Law, but was wondering if this is a good idea given that I eventually want to apply to NY firms. I can only speak for myself when saying that there should not be a problem with this. For those who understand the culture at big NY firms, would you advise me to avoid this course?

Thanks

D

Anonymous User

Re: Islamic Law on Transcript

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:48 pm

Debauchery wrote:Hello folks,

I'm considering taking a course called Islamic Law, but was wondering if this is a good idea given that I eventually want to apply to NY firms. I can only speak for myself when saying that there should not be a problem with this. For those who understand the culture at big NY firms, would you advise me to avoid this course?

Thanks

D

Vandy?

Regardless, I doubt it will significantly hurt you, although I suppose it is possible with some hiring agents it could. But who knows, it could also help if you have a Muslim who is doing the hiring.

Debauchery

New

Post by Debauchery » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:41 pm

I'm at a Canadian Law School, Osgoode Hall. Thanks for the input.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:43 pm

Tell em you have an interest in Islamic finance. No joke.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:46 pm

The fact that you are applying from a Canadian law school will be 10000000000x more significant than your taking Islamic law. No one will care.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:49 pm

Nah, I had it on mine, and only one person asked about it. I said I her the professor was very good and I was interesting in developing Islamic nations.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Nah, I had it on mine, and only one person asked about it. I said I her the professor was very good and I was interesting in developing Islamic nations.

OTOH, you are an IP dooder, and the fact they even asked you about it may be significant.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Debauchery wrote:I'm at a Canadian Law School, Osgoode Hall. Thanks for the input.

Yeah, not even sure they hire Canada bros from Canada law schools for NY biglaw... I think the Islamic course is the least of your challenges...

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:20 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
Debauchery wrote:I'm at a Canadian Law School, Osgoode Hall. Thanks for the input.

Yeah, not even sure they hire Canada bros from Canada law schools for NY biglaw... I think the Islamic course is the least of your challenges...
They hire from them, but usually only tippity top.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:

They hire from them, but usually only tippity top.

For example, I know that S&C had one Osgoode Hall person last summer.

I don't see why taking Islamic Law would hurt you. What are your concerns specifically?

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:02 am

Throughout both OCI and callbacks, I don't think any of my interviewers even had my transcript, nevermind cared enough to analyze what classes I was taking. Don't worry about it (though if you're really concerned, just have an answer ready for "why did you want to take this?")

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:56 pm

Highly unlikely that anyone will notice or care, and on the off chance that they do, they will probably like it if you have some sense of how to structure deals so as not to piss off islamic authorities.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:36 pm

No one will care.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:44 pm

I'm sorry, but as a Muslim American I find this thread ridiculous. I am proud of my identity, made no secret of it in interviews, and did just fine in OCI both in NY and non-NY markets. This is a question that should not have to be asked.

Typhoon24

Silver

Post by Typhoon24 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm sorry, but as a Muslim American I find this thread ridiculous. I am proud of my identity, made no secret of it in interviews, and did just fine in OCI both in NY and non-NY markets. This is a question that should not have to be asked.
lol. thanks for taking a stand, they're handing out t-shirts somewhere.

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm sorry, but as a Muslim American I find this thread ridiculous. I am proud of my identity, made no secret of it in interviews, and did just fine in OCI both in NY and non-NY markets. This is a question that should not have to be asked.
It's a legitimate question if OP is sincerely concerned about how a class will affect his job prospects. And no, I don't think it would be a problem. As long as you have a good reason for taking it, then you should be fine.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:07 pm

jrf12886 wrote:
It's a legitimate question if OP is sincerely concerned about how a class will affect his job prospects. And no, I don't think it would be a problem. As long as you have a good reason for taking it, then you should be fine.
No, it's still a stupid question.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:07 pm

[b]Anonymous User[/b] wrote:I'm sorry, but as a Muslim American I find this thread ridiculous. I am proud of my identity, made no secret of it in interviews, and did just fine in OCI both in NY and non-NY markets. This is a question that should not have to be asked.
Ironic use of the Anon feature, bro.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:08 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
[b]Anonymous User[/b] wrote:I'm sorry, but as a Muslim American I find this thread ridiculous. I am proud of my identity, made no secret of it in interviews, and did just fine in OCI both in NY and non-NY markets. This is a question that should not have to be asked.
Ironic use of the Anon feature, bro.
:lol:

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:11 pm

Dany wrote:
jrf12886 wrote:
I don't agree. Like it or not, there are prejudices out there. Employers may react negatively to certain classes. It's a fair question to ask. Even if you think it's a dumb question, we shouldn't ridicule people for it. This forum is here so people can share information and ask questions.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:17 pm

jrf12886 wrote:
Dany wrote:
jrf12886 wrote:
I don't agree. Like it or not, there are prejudices out there. Employers may react negatively to certain classes. It's a fair question to ask. Even if you think it's a dumb question, we shouldn't ridicule people for it. This forum is here so people can share information and ask questions.
Prejudices about what electives you take in law school? Come on.

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:08 pm

Id just say i picked classes while eating falafel.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”