Turning down law firm offer after SA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Turning down law firm offer after SA

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:55 pm

This is probably a dumb question. I think that I am going to turn down my law firm offer. The firm was kind enough to give me an extension until Dec 1 to look at some other non-firm things, and I went through the partner responsible for managing the summer program to get that extension. Can I just email to decline the offer, or does etiquette require me to call? I don't think they're waiting with bated breath to see what I do, but it was a small firm and I also don't want them to think I'm ungrateful or treated the option cavalierly.

dingbat

Gold

Re: Turning down law firm offer after SA

Post by dingbat » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is probably a dumb question. I think that I am going to turn down my law firm offer. The firm was kind enough to give me an extension until Dec 1 to look at some other non-firm things, and I went through the partner responsible for managing the summer program to get that extension. Can I just email to decline the offer, or does etiquette require me to call? I don't think they're waiting with bated breath to see what I do, but it was a small firm and I also don't want them to think I'm ungrateful or treated the option cavalierly.
If you established a rapport, and they gave you an extension, you should call, IMO.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:43 pm

I don't think it's "required," but it would be good form to call. Probably will not be as awkward as you imagine, especially if you're going into gov't / public interest rather than a different firm.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is probably a dumb question. I think that I am going to turn down my law firm offer. The firm was kind enough to give me an extension until Dec 1 to look at some other non-firm things, and I went through the partner responsible for managing the summer program to get that extension. Can I just email to decline the offer, or does etiquette require me to call? I don't think they're waiting with bated breath to see what I do, but it was a small firm and I also don't want them to think I'm ungrateful or treated the option cavalierly.
You definitely owe it to them to give them a call. They have been fair and gracious with you and may have questions about your reasons. You still may not want to provide those, but I'd be prepared for them. And I think it is courteous to do. Besides, the legal world is small.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:09 pm

I'd propose that turning down a full-time offer after spending a summer with the firm would always warrant a call.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:22 pm

Yes, y'all are right. They were very accommodating throughout the entire process. I will call.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:49 pm

If you want them to feel that they were right to extend an offer to you, then call. If not, then email.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”