V20 SA Seeking Best Entertainment Law Exit Options Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

V20 SA Seeking Best Entertainment Law Exit Options

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:22 pm

This upcoming summer I will be a SA with a V20 New York City Firm. I have no specific practice area preferences but may one day wish to transition into Entertainment Law on the West Coast. I am by no means committed to such a plan but it is distant possibility down the road. I am already being asked to request specific areas to work in this summer and am curious what practice area(s) would eventually land me the best exit options for Ent. Law in LA? Obviously this assumes I will work full-time in the area I spend the majority of my summer in. Additionally, what practice areas have the most transferable skills to Entertainment Law?

NOTE: My firm has a history of very close to 100% offer rates so I am not considering that as part of my strategy in requesting practice groups.

Shammis

Bronze

Re: V20 SA Seeking Best Entertainment Law Exit Options

Post by Shammis » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:40 pm

Either something relating to Secured Transactions (for production work) or Labor Law. There is a ton of work dealing with the Guilds...an Atty I worked for went NY mid-law (only did Labor) --> In-house for different production companies.

anon168

Silver

Re: V20 SA Seeking Best Entertainment Law Exit Options

Post by anon168 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This upcoming summer I will be a SA with a V20 New York City Firm. I have no specific practice area preferences but may one day wish to transition into Entertainment Law on the West Coast. I am by no means committed to such a plan but it is distant possibility down the road. I am already being asked to request specific areas to work in this summer and am curious what practice area(s) would eventually land me the best exit options for Ent. Law in LA? Obviously this assumes I will work full-time in the area I spend the majority of my summer in. Additionally, what practice areas have the most transferable skills to Entertainment Law?

NOTE: My firm has a history of very close to 100% offer rates so I am not considering that as part of my strategy in requesting practice groups.
You need to be more specific as to what you mean by "Entertainment Law".

Do you want to do transactional work? If so, do you want to contract negotiations between talent and studios, talent and agents, media rights (just some examples), or corporate transactions between studios (eg., Disney and Lucas), or related tax work for either contracts or studios?

Or do you want to litigation? And, if so, what kind? First Amendment? Trade secrets? Soft IP like copyright? Or do you want to be the "personal lawyer bodyguard" for stars and write threatening letters to the National Enquirer?

"Entertainment Law" by itself means absolutely nothing.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”