Judicial internship due Jan 4. What to prioritize? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
greenchair

Bronze

Judicial internship due Jan 4. What to prioritize?

Post by greenchair » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:48 pm

I'm a 1L. JIOP applications are available December 1st, and the deadline is January 4th. I'd be applying under the diversity student application.

From the info packet:
-First 500 applicants are "guaranteed at least one interview" and that first interview can happen any time after your application is complete.
-"The earlier the student enters into [the application stream], the more time they have to be reviewed by hiring judges. That will increase their chances of being hired."

I have my resume ready. I would just need to write a statement of interest, which they want under 1000 words. How important is it that I get this in as soon as possible?

In other words, is it worth sacrificing maybe 6 hours of my time during finals prep to write and revise this statement of interest?

My finals end 12/17 so I have two weeks to do it before the deadline if it's not that critical that I get it in on 12/1.

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Judicial internship due Jan 4. What to prioritize?

Post by thesealocust » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:28 pm

I received 2 interviews with judges after finals and before Jan 1 my 1L year having sent applications out on 12/1. Many others received similar jobs applying later, but I personally believe it's worth jumping on it in December.

It's not a huge time sink and you don't need every minute of every day for exams.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Judicial internship due Jan 4. What to prioritize?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:04 pm

I was going to say, it's no big deal (based on getting my 1L judicial internship, and a bunch of interviews, in February). But then I realized that the JIOP is a different thing, and PAID. I don't have any personal experience with it, but since it's paid (and national), yeah, it would probably be good to get your application in early. I agree the statement of interest shouldn't take that long, and you can't study 24 hours a day anyway.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”