Post-SA offer acceptance and deadline. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Post-SA offer acceptance and deadline.

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:47 pm

How did most of you accept your offers after summer associate program?
I accepted verbally but I'm worried that if they don't want me they can just say that there is no record of me accepting. Do they let former-summers know that they have not accepted before the deadline expires?

Uncle.Joe

Bronze

Re: Post-SA offer acceptance and deadline.

Post by Uncle.Joe » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:30 pm

Why don't you just call recruiting/HR and ask if there is any paperwork you need to fill out to formally accept?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:06 am

I called to accept, and they also had a form they sent to fill out and send back.

But I don't understand your fear about them pretending they have no record of you accepting; it's employment at will anyways, if they don't want you for whatever reason they can cut you loose (or push back your start date, etc.) with no consequences.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:But I don't understand your fear about them pretending they have no record of you accepting; it's employment at will anyways, if they don't want you for whatever reason they can cut you loose (or push back your start date, etc.) with no consequences.
Beat me to it....whether there is paperwork or not, they can basically cut you loose whenever. I don't know much about employment law, but if you have an oral contract with the firm after accepting your offer (essentially a promise) and you (reasonably?) rely on it and don't search for other employment and then your offer is rescinded in May, do you theoretically have an estoppel claim? Reliance damages could be a lot if it is the difference between biglaw and something that you scramble to find. I guess I am missing something here.

jess

Post by jess » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:43 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”