Big Law --> Manhattan DA? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Big Law --> Manhattan DA?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:14 pm

Has anyone done this? What kind of things do they look for in a lateral? How soon is "too soon" to try and make the move?

Currently in big law, not loving it, and would like to get out as soon as possible (as soon as after a year). Part of that comes from a re-evaluation of what I want out of life and my career. I went to law school to be on my feet, in court, and actually making a meaningful and (more) obvious impact on lives and society. I want responsibility early. I'm realizing already that being happy in my career is more important to me than rushing my way out of debt.

Any tips on big law --> Manhattan DA?

Thanks all.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Big Law --> Manhattan DA?

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:26 pm

Best tip for Manhattan DA's Office: Bilingual English/Spanish.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:40 pm

I have a friend that works in Manhattan's DA office. You might want to rethink your plan. My friend works like 60 hour work weeks almost every week. Maybe you should shoot for DA offices in smaller cities. You would have a lower cost of living and probably a smaller work load.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:44 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I have a friend that works in Manhattan's DA office. You might want to rethink your plan. My friend works like 60 hour work weeks almost every week. Maybe you should shoot for DA offices in smaller cities. You would have a lower cost of living and probably a smaller work load.
Work load isn't the concern; quality of work is.

I have no problem putting in 60-70 hour weeks.

I do when the work is mind numbing and meaningless.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:49 pm

I understand what you mean. I do. I am not going to law school to help one rich corporation win against another rich corporation. But you are fucking yourself by going to Manhattan's DA office. Go make a difference in a smaller city and not be broke by NYC's COL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone done this? What kind of things do they look for in a lateral? How soon is "too soon" to try and make the move?

Currently in big law, not loving it, and would like to get out as soon as possible (as soon as after a year). Part of that comes from a re-evaluation of what I want out of life and my career. I went to law school to be on my feet, in court, and actually making a meaningful and (more) obvious impact on lives and society. I want responsibility early. I'm realizing already that being happy in my career is more important to me than rushing my way out of debt.

Thanks all.
This question has been addressed ad nauseum in here. Run a few searches on exit options and you should run across the threads I'm thinking of.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:19 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone done this? What kind of things do they look for in a lateral? How soon is "too soon" to try and make the move?

Thanks all.
This question has been addressed ad nauseum in here. Run a few searches on exit options and you should run across the threads I'm thinking of.
I did. I didn't find what I was looking for. I think I'll keep this thread. Do appreciate the concern though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:05 pm

Why would you want to go to the Manhattan DA instead of the AUSA's office?

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why would you want to go to the Manhattan DA instead of the AUSA's office?
Why would anyone want to buy a Honda Civic instead of a Ferrari? Also, good anon use.

And also, what the fuck is an "AUSA's office?"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:26 pm

"AUSA" = Ass't US Attorneys

Manhattan DA's office may be the most sophisticated DAs office in the country due to the financial district & complex investigations/charges/crimes. Also, a great move if one is interested in running for political office.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torney12

New

Post by Torney12 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:28 pm

nevdash wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Why would you want to go to the Manhattan DA instead of the AUSA's office?
Why would anyone want to buy a Honda Civic instead of a Ferrari? Also, good anon use.

Surely, you can't be as stupid and needlessly argumentative as your post suggests. I hope you were joking.
Last edited by Torney12 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:28 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:"AUSA" = Ass't US Attorneys

Manhattan DA's office may be the most sophisticated DAs office in the country due to the financial district & complex investigations/charges/crimes.
You sound dumb.

Torney12

New

Post by Torney12 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:29 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:"AUSA" = Ass't US Attorneys

Manhattan DA's office may be the most sophisticated DAs office in the country due to the financial district & complex investigations/charges/crimes. Also, a great move if one is interested in running for political office.
Better move than the EDNY or SDNY USAO?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:31 pm

Torney12 wrote:
nevdash wrote:

Surely, you can't be as stupid and needlessly argumentative as your post suggests. I hope you were joking.
You sound dumb.

And the quoted post was stupid enough to require a stupidly argumentative post. Of *course* the OP probably wants to work at a USAO. Most people would rather drive a Ferrari than a Honda Civic, but most people can't get a Ferrari. Just like most people would rather work at a USAO than a DA's office, but most people can't get a job at a USAO.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:32 pm

BU is lucky to have you. :D

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:34 pm

Mods?

Torney12

New

Post by Torney12 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:10 pm

nevdash wrote:
Torney12 wrote:
nevdash wrote:

You sound dumb.

And the quoted post was stupid enough to require a stupidly argumentative post. Of *course* the OP probably wants to work at a USAO. Most people would rather drive a Ferrari than a Honda Civic, but most people can't get a Ferrari. Just like most people would rather work at a USAO than a DA's office, but most people can't get a job at a USAO.
Ah. Thanks for conceding that your post was "stupidly argumentative" and that you are indeed a quarrelsome fool. I'll leave you to your trolling for fights now.

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:15 pm

Torney12 wrote:Ah. Thanks for conceding that your post was "stupidly argumentative" and that you are indeed a quarrelsome fool. I'll leave you to your trolling for fights now.
You sound pretentious and dumb. I didn't concede that I'm a quarrelsome fool. You might think that's the case, and we can certainly argue about that. But I definitely didn't concede it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”