Case study interview Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Case study interview

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:54 am

Has anyone had a case study during an interview for a law firm? Not a finance-type position, but normal summer associate. I'd appreciate any information or tips. I have no experience with this kind of thing.

Anonymous User

Re: Case study interview

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:23 pm

was this a US firm? pretty sure they give u a fact pattern and put u under pressure to spot issues, maka arguments, etc...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had a case study during an interview for a law firm? Not a finance-type position, but normal summer associate. I'd appreciate any information or tips. I have no experience with this kind of thing.
Mine was totally out of the blue, at the end of a behavioral interview. Had a very small amount of time, was given a 3 paragraph fact pattern, 1 statute w/4 elements, 3 cases for each of the 4 elements... It was designed in a way that one of the elements was intentionally hard to do, so you were wise to work on it last or just acknowledge the confusion in that area of law and move on... I know a few others that did not realize it was sort of a trick, and were unable to finish their entire memo.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:was this a US firm? pretty sure they give u a fact pattern and put u under pressure to spot issues, maka arguments, etc...
OP here. It's a US office of a UK firm. I was told that I would get the case study, then have 45 minutes before I meet the interviewers, so I guess it's what you and the other poster described. Sure nervous about not knowing how to approach it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:was this a US firm? pretty sure they give u a fact pattern and put u under pressure to spot issues, maka arguments, etc...
OP here. It's a US office of a UK firm. I was told that I would get the case study, then have 45 minutes before I meet the interviewers, so I guess it's what you and the other poster described. Sure nervous about not knowing how to approach it.
Pretty sure we have the same interview coming up. did u get a date yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Pretty sure we have the same interview coming up. did u get a date yet?
It was supposed to be tomorrow, but got pushed back a week to next Monday due to the hurricane.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote: It was supposed to be tomorrow, but got pushed back a week to next Monday due to the hurricane.
Good Luck! I had an interview with this firm, where I was told I would be contacted soon to set up the interview you described. Can I ask how long after ur interview it took for u to get the "callback"?

Also, it seemed like the firm did things this way all the time for UK... standard procedure, so I wouldn't sweat it...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
LL still hiring?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
LL still hiring?
Not LL.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: It was supposed to be tomorrow, but got pushed back a week to next Monday due to the hurricane.
Good Luck! I had an interview with this firm, where I was told I would be contacted soon to set up the interview you described. Can I ask how long after ur interview it took for u to get the "callback"?

Also, it seemed like the firm did things this way all the time for UK... standard procedure, so I wouldn't sweat it...
It was around 10 days from screener to invitation to set up this interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”