Small firm - pay for own flight for interview? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Small firm - pay for own flight for interview?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:05 pm

Hey everyone, I go to a top 5 school in one part of the country and am applying for civil rights boutique firms mostly in other parts of the country.

One partner contacted me for an interview asking if I was going to be in his firm's city any time soon. I'm guessing the right response to this (since I had no plans to be there soon) is just to say, "Unfortunately I have no plans to travel to X any time soon. However, I'm very excited about the possibility of spending a summer at your firm. Perhaps we could chat over the phone, or videoconference?"

Is that reasonable? Or if I really want to work for this firm am I better of saying, "Why yes, I'm going to be in town next week..." while I purchase my plane ticket in another browser tab?

FWIW I've got another interview with a firm in the same city scheduled for a videoconference interview next week.

Prairie

Bronze

Re: Small firm - pay for own flight for interview?

Post by Prairie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:10 pm

One interview justifies flying back to interview in-person. Two makes it a no-brainer. In my opinion, school is optional this semester as you look for a job. Also, don't worry about the expense. If they ask for receipts, great. If not, also great. You have a chance at a job, which is what it is all about.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:24 pm

FWIW, I did an interview with a well regarded mid-size firm while I was in town over the summer. They contacted me at the beginning of OGI about doing more interviews but said that if I were not going to be in town already that they would be happy to do it by videoconference. I decided to let them know that I was interested enough to fly out on my own to do it in person if they were interested. They said yes, and I flew out. They mentioned they were impressed that I flew out, and I got an offer. I also was able to set up several interviews while I was in town, and it was easier to get those interviews because I already had the one.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone, I go to a top 5 school in one part of the country and am applying for civil rights boutique firms mostly in other parts of the country.

One partner contacted me for an interview asking if I was going to be in his firm's city any time soon. I'm guessing the right response to this (since I had no plans to be there soon) is just to say, "Unfortunately I have no plans to travel to X any time soon. However, I'm very excited about the possibility of spending a summer at your firm. Perhaps we could chat over the phone, or videoconference?"

Is that reasonable? Or if I really want to work for this firm am I better of saying, "Why yes, I'm going to be in town next week..." while I purchase my plane ticket in another browser tab?

FWIW I've got another interview with a firm in the same city scheduled for a videoconference interview next week.
Are you really that fucking brain-dead? Or has the Meth afterburn not worn off yet?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:33 pm

Prairie wrote:One interview justifies flying back to interview in-person. Two makes it a no-brainer. In my opinion, school is optional this semester as you look for a job. Also, don't worry about the expense. If they ask for receipts, great. If not, also great. You have a chance at a job, which is what it is all about.
I disagree with this. A firm that isn't interested enough in a candidate to cover interview costs also isn't a firm that is especially likely to hire the candidate either.

It's not wrong to fly out for an interview on your own dime, but I don't think it's a smart strategy to adopt for the average job hunter.

Basically interviews are great, but I doubt worth hundreds of dollars each.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:38 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Prairie wrote:One interview justifies flying back to interview in-person. Two makes it a no-brainer. In my opinion, school is optional this semester as you look for a job. Also, don't worry about the expense. If they ask for receipts, great. If not, also great. You have a chance at a job, which is what it is all about.
I disagree with this. A firm that isn't interested enough in a candidate to cover interview costs also isn't a firm that is especially likely to hire the candidate either.

It's not wrong to fly out for an interview on your own dime, but I don't think it's a smart strategy to adopt for the average job hunter.

Basically interviews are great, but I doubt worth hundreds of dollars each.
TITCR.

You may check with your school's career services to see if they offer any travel reimbursement. We're able to get reimbursed for up to $100 from the school for job-seeking travel expenses. It's a drop in the bucket, but if you're going to do it anyway, then why not?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:48 pm

It might not be an issue of not caring about you; some firms just don't have the budgets to cover interview costs so usually only hire local candidates, and they find plenty of qualified local candidates to fill their jobs. If they give you a chance to interview, and its a job you want (or need), the expected value of the job (career salary * probably of landing the job) when you have no other prospects is much higher than the cost of your plane ticket.

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It might not be an issue of not caring about you; some firms just don't have the budgets to cover interview costs so usually only hire local candidates, and they find plenty of qualified local candidates to fill their jobs. If they give you a chance to interview, and its a job you want (or need), the expected value of the job (career salary * probably of landing the job) when you have no other prospects is much higher than the cost of your plane ticket.
Sorry didn't mean to be anon.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone, I go to a top 5 school in one part of the country and am applying for civil rights boutique firms mostly in other parts of the country.
How's Chicago?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:09 pm

Hi everyone, OP here.

Agreed that if working for one of these firms were my a-numero-uno aspiration it would mostly likely be worth it to schedule my flight and follow up with the other firms I've applied to in this market.

However I'm sort of torn as I love legal services and am thinking I might prefer to do legal services this summer and commit more fully to that as a career path. Yes, I know, how lucrative. Anyway the legal services org's I'd apply to don't start hiring for another month or so.

So I suppose I just need to do some soul searching and figure out which of these things I actually want to do next summer (and probably for several years out of law school).

As for this...
How's Chicago?
The answer is, remarkably prestigious!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:23 pm

I did this for a small firm callback in my hometown. Then during the interview they told me they'd really prefer someone who is also going to the local law school so that their summer associate could continue to work as a clerk during 3L. I didn't get it and I could not believe they called me back knowing they didn't want me and telling me to cover my own costs. I wouldn't waste my money again.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:12 am

cinephile wrote:I did this for a small firm callback in my hometown. Then during the interview they told me they'd really prefer someone who is also going to the local law school so that their summer associate could continue to work as a clerk during 3L. I didn't get it and I could not believe they called me back knowing they didn't want me and telling me to cover my own costs. I wouldn't waste my money again.
Had a friend go through a similar experience... Pretty sleazy imo.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone, OP here.

. . .

As for this...
How's Chicago?
The answer is, remarkably prestigious!
Didn't mention RIGOR. Not really a UChi student.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:53 pm

For the firms doing this, it's no cost to them to see if you're so perfect they can't imagine not hiring you. But as a student, you have to realize that these smaller firms can do huge numbers of interviews, even placing a premium on the home town heroes, all to fill a small handful of slots (or even just one!).

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:46 pm

It's really sad to read the sense of entitlement in this thread, esp ITE.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:56 pm

anon168 wrote:It's really sad to read the sense of entitlement in this thread, esp ITE.
Entitlement?

Paying $300-$500 to fly across the country for the chance at a job is not fair to place on a student with no income, who is incurring substantial debt. The firm knows what their applicant pool looks like, they have more income than the student, and they can potentially even obtain deductions for these expenses.

Students should not be paying for these types of things. The only reason they do is because the economy is bad enough that students will have a race to the bottom in search of those jobs.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:It's really sad to read the sense of entitlement in this thread, esp ITE.
Entitlement?

Paying $300-$500 to fly across the country for the chance at a job is not fair to place on a student with no income, who is incurring substantial debt. The firm knows what their applicant pool looks like, they have more income than the student, and they can potentially even obtain deductions for these expenses.

Students should not be paying for these types of things. The only reason they do is because the economy is bad enough that students will have a race to the bottom in search of those jobs.
You just proved my point. Thank you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:01 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Entitlement?

What?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:18 pm

paratactical wrote:
anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Entitlement?

What?
that in this economy, a firm doesn't have to pay to fly a mediocre candidate out to see them, rather than just interview locally and/or those who go through the trouble (and effort) to come to them.

Why should a firm have to pay to fly a whole bunch of people across the country?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:21 pm

dingbat wrote: that in this economy, a firm doesn't have to pay to fly a mediocre candidate out to see them, rather than just interview locally and/or those who go through the trouble (and effort) to come to them.

Why should a firm have to pay to fly a whole bunch of candidates across the country?
I no one said the firm ought to pay for everyone; only that the interviewee shouldn't have to pay. So either the firm should a) hold interviews via the telephone or videoconferencing systems for candidates that are out of market or b) not bother with out of market candidates if they are going to require in person interviews and not pay for transportation to the firm.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:23 pm

paratactical wrote:
anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Entitlement?

What?
Belief that life is -- or should be -- fair is the very seed upon which all entitlement sprouts.

You're already in law school. Time to grow up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:32 pm

paratactical wrote:
dingbat wrote: that in this economy, a firm doesn't have to pay to fly a mediocre candidate out to see them, rather than just interview locally and/or those who go through the trouble (and effort) to come to them.

Why should a firm have to pay to fly a whole bunch of candidates across the country?
I no one said the firm ought to pay for everyone; only that the interviewee shouldn't have to pay. So either the firm should a) hold interviews via the telephone or videoconferencing systems for candidates that are out of market or b) not bother with out of market candidates if they are going to require in person interviews and not pay for transportation to the firm.
Why should they decline to interview a candidate willing to come to them?
I mean, I'm assuming they're not actively recruiting out of market, in which case a similar response would be to tell students not to apply out of market (problem solved)

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Flying at your own expense to interview with a job you really want shows them you actually do want the job, would move to that city, etc. Think of it as an investment.

But maybe CCN kids don't have to be nearly as scrappy as folks in my position. Still, I think the benefit outweighs the cost.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:47 pm

Lwoods wrote:Flying at your own expense to interview with a job you really want shows them you actually do want the job, would move to that city, etc. Think of it as an investment.

But maybe CCN kids don't have to be nearly as scrappy as folks in my position. Still, I think the benefit outweighs the cost.
That, my friend, is why if I were a betting man I'd put money on your chances of succeeding in life (not just law) over those "CCN kids".

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:49 pm

anon168 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:Flying at your own expense to interview with a job you really want shows them you actually do want the job, would move to that city, etc. Think of it as an investment.

That, my friend, is why if I were a betting man I'd put money on your chances of succeeding in life (not just law) over those "CCN kids".

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”