1L Summer Job Search Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Elston Gunn

Gold

Re: 1L Summer Job Search (Early Bird Special)

Post by Elston Gunn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:06 pm

Any other 1L SA gunners? Any insights other than 1) be from Texas and 2) scour NALP directory for firms that hire 1L's? Also, does Texan fiancée + southwest undergrad = Texas ties?

Anciano

Bronze

Post by Anciano » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:10 pm

Last edited by Anciano on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:11 pm

Pokemon wrote:Children's Hospital hires in Chicago. I apologize for taking a look at your profile.
no apologies needed- if you have more info, feel free to PM!!

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:12 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Pokemon wrote:Children's Hospital hires in Chicago. I apologize for taking a look at your profile.
Scarlet is happy to be stalked if it results in her receiving some kind of useful benefit.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:13 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:How many different employers are y'all planning on applying to? From what I've heard everyone is doing 10-20 places (for firm jobs specifically). Not sure if this is a good plan or not.
For firm jobs shouldn't you be mass mailing the crap out of everyone? With I guess paying special attention to the ones that actually hire significant numbers of 1Ls.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:14 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Scarlet is happy to be stalked if it results in her receiving some kind of useful benefit.
Stalkers would be so much more appealing if they brought along baskets of muffins (and jerbs).

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:20 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:Any other 1L SA gunners? Any insights other than 1) be from Texas and 2) scour NALP directory for firms that hire 1L's? Also, does Texan fiancée + southwest undergrad = Texas ties?
Dunno about Texas ties, but I wish I had em. NALP makes it seem like firm jobs are impossible to find, and everyone says the few they do list are for diversity candidates. But somehow a fair number of people land these things, so hopefully my CSO will offer some inside info once the veil is lifted.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:36 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:How many different employers are y'all planning on applying to? From what I've heard everyone is doing 10-20 places (for firm jobs specifically). Not sure if this is a good plan or not.
For firm jobs shouldn't you be mass mailing the crap out of everyone? With I guess paying special attention to the ones that actually hire significant numbers of 1Ls.
I did this. I had my resume updated before school started, created a list of who was hiring 1L's and added to it every weekend. When December came around I spent an entire Saturday sending out Apps. Then I didn't didn't do another thing job related until after finals. I had my SA job by Feb. It can be done.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:39 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:Any other 1L SA gunners? Any insights other than 1) be from Texas and 2) scour NALP directory for firms that hire 1L's? Also, does Texan fiancée + southwest undergrad = Texas ties?
I will be looking almost exclusively at 1L SA jobs, I am counting on TX.
If you didnt go to a school in Texas and are not from TX it will be harder to sell. the Texas Fiancee will help, but do you have anything TX on your resume at all?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:40 pm

Can we retitle this thread "ITT gunner douchebags"?
Also, any advise on NYC firms to target?

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:03 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
I will be looking almost exclusively at 1L SA jobs, I am counting on TX.
If you didnt go to a school in Texas and are not from TX it will be harder to sell. the Texas Fiancee will help, but do you have anything TX on your resume at all?
Didn't go to a school in Texas, not from Texas nor did I have a Texas fiancee but I had a good story about why I wanted to live in Texas and why it was a place I was serious about moving to. I was actually sincere, I got an offer to SA there but I ended up going to a different part of the country. Actually people like me are why they don't trust people who aren't from Texas. Sorry :P .

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:05 pm

Had our first career services meeting today (We apparently say to hell with the Nov. 1st thing) so I'm starting to think about it. We don't get funding for judges so that is off the table for me, so my order of preference right now is:

Chicago Big Firm
Non-Chicago Big Firm
Chicago Small/Mid Firm paying more than 5k
Chicago PI
Non-Chicago Small/Mid Firm paying more than 5k
Non-Chicago PI
Shit Law (less than 5k)
Chicago Judge
Retail
Non Chicago Judge

Easy right? :P

Plan on spending a day over thanksgiving generating a solid mail merge and then going to town on one day in early December. We only have 2 finals in the fall so I think I can handle the time. Figure if I don't try for a big firm I'll never know, but banking on Chicago PI as a fall back.

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:11 pm

Wow i feel so behind. If i can't get through 29 hypotheticals in my head with each new rule I can't move on. My friends are always drinking and having fun, and still get it done. How jealous I am being a hustler and not a genius.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:13 pm

Is there a tls thing for firms? I'd rather work cool imteresting people in thr burgs than nyc if the $ is similar.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:17 pm

Tag.

I'm amazed by how many people in my school think that looking for a job is "stupid." Maybe I'm just old and ornery, but I thought that was the reason we came to a professional school.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:18 pm

uvabro wrote:Is there a tls thing for firms? I'd rather work cool imteresting people in thr burgs than nyc if the $ is similar.
http://www.resumelaunchpad.com/

This is how I found my firms. You still should check NALP and also check to make sure the information and POC is still current but it is a good place to start at least finding the names of firms in the area you want to practice.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:19 pm

uvabro wrote:Is there a tls thing for firms? I'd rather work cool imteresting people in thr burgs than nyc if the $ is similar.
define similar.
Relative to cost of living, Alabama is similar.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JO 14

New

Post by JO 14 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:19 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote: I will be looking almost exclusively at 1L SA jobs. . .
That is the very best goal of all. Not easy to achieve (usually only a couple in your class will accomplish this). It is not just about the money (although it might be) but an avenue that bypasses groveling to secure a non-paying 1L internship and later on that whole OCI mess. From what I saw, that stress was worth missing.

hookem14

New

Post by hookem14 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:29 pm

Sell the shit out of that fiancée tie: "he/she grew up in X city, family still lives there, wants to die there, can't wait to move back, and oh yeah, we have been together 10 years and are getting married tomorrow." Focus on Houston, firms there are much less pariniod than Dallas.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:55 pm

1L from T30, solidly PI-focused and hope to target Philly. Since I have no interest in a BigLaw SA position whatsoever, nor will I apply to judges' chambers (these positions are rarely covered by my school's PI stipend program), am I f*cked if I don't apply right on 12/1? I'll be targeting legal aid societies, non-profits, DA's offices, USAO, AG, DOJ EOIR, gov't agencies, etc. I made a list of ~50 employers and my resume is good to go, but haven't really started on cover letters, and don't think I'll have time at this point to crank out dozens of them, as PI cover letters have to be very tailored to the mission of each organization. The more coveted positions mentioned above, like USAO, AG, etc. require transcripts, which won't even be available until mid-Jan.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:57 pm

tagging

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:53 am

Elston Gunn wrote:
I mean that's what I thought, but OCS is telling us to do 10-20 because "that's all it takes." I was prepared to mass mail, until I was told that. I didn't know if anyone else had similar experiences.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:15 am

hookem14 wrote:
Sell the shit out of that fiancée tie: "he/she grew up in X city, family still lives there, wants to die there, can't wait to move back, and oh yeah, we have been together 10 years and are getting married tomorrow." Focus on Houston, firms there are much less pariniod than Dallas.
Thanks!
I mean that's what I thought, but OCS is telling us to do 10-20 because "that's all it takes." I was prepared to mass mail, until I was told that. I didn't know if anyone else had similar experiences.
Sounds either like terrible advice, or they don't realize you're talking about BigLaw. It takes 10-20 *interviews* for well qualified 2Ls to get an offer. For 1Ls, it's gonna take way more than 20 applications.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:40 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:
So I mailed out about 150 applications. I got about 10 interviews out of that and two offers (although I was still up for 3 more that I cancelled after I got my initial offer). I'm a URM who goes to HYS and that's at best 1 out of 30 (and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have received offers from all of the other firms). I think your OCS is giving you awful information. Maybe if you go to a top school and your grades put you in the top ten then 10-20 might be enough but even then to be safe I'd apply to a lot more if you truly want a 1L SA.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:58 am

thelawschoolproject wrote: I mean that's what I thought, but OCS is telling us to do 10-20 because "that's all it takes." I was prepared to mass mail, until I was told that. I didn't know if anyone else had similar experiences.
So you've learned early on that they're useless? Cool.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”