1L Summer Job Search Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
beardown67

New

Re: 1L Summer Job Search (Early Bird Special)

Post by beardown67 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:39 am

Sent out about 40 letters to judges and various gov't/public service agencies around Dec. 1. I've got one COA interview and one interview with a USAO, both in early January. For various reasons, firm work isn't really an option (no firms in my target market hire 1Ls, and it's more important for me to do something there, even if unpaid, than work somewhere else).

Do you guys think only having these two interviews is woefully deficient and that I should send more applications, or should I wait and see what happens with those two interviews before doing anything further?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:00 pm

beardown67 wrote:Sent out about 40 letters to judges and various gov't/public service agencies around Dec. 1. I've got one COA interview and one interview with a USAO, both in early January. For various reasons, firm work isn't really an option (no firms in my target market hire 1Ls, and it's more important for me to do something there, even if unpaid, than work somewhere else).

Do you guys think only having these two interviews is woefully deficient and that I should send more applications, or should I wait and see what happens with those two interviews before doing anything further?

Thanks!
It doesn't matter. Go crush the ones you have.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:02 pm

Is the generic Locke Lord "send us your grades when you have them and come to our holiday reception" e-mail something that requires a response if I can't make the receptions? It didn't even occur to me to answer the e-mail until I had grades, but after reading some of the threads here I'm second-guessing myself.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:39 pm

Edit- Nevermind.
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is the generic Locke Lord "send us your grades when you have them and come to our holiday reception" e-mail something that requires a response if I can't make the receptions? It didn't even occur to me to answer the e-mail until I had grades, but after reading some of the threads here I'm second-guessing myself.
I didnt. I am curious as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:12 pm

How's the search going?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:23 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:07 am

What are you people doing for required transcript attachments? Is it better to make a word document saying I'll have all my grades by the end of January or make a PDF of my lone writing grade?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:22 am

laxbrah420 wrote:What are you people doing for required transcript attachments? Is it better to make a word document saying I'll have all my grades by the end of January or make a PDF of my lone writing grade?
If its for 1L spots, it may be that they are asking for you to attach your UG transcript. They know 1Ls dont have grades yet

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:25 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:What are you people doing for required transcript attachments? Is it better to make a word document saying I'll have all my grades by the end of January or make a PDF of my lone writing grade?
If its for 1L spots, it may be that they are asking for you to attach your UG transcript. They know 1Ls dont have grades yet
Fuck that noise :lol:
Thought the whole point of law school was that UG grades don't matter anymore

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:31 am

laxbrah420 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
Fuck that noise :lol:
Haha I have had law firms ask me for UG grades. They still matter, but probably wont after your 1L year.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:31 am

double post

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:30 am

laxbrah420 wrote:Fuck that noise :lol:
My UG grades consistently torpedoed me in every 1L application that asked for them. I don't even know why I bothered if they asked for em.
AssumptionRequired wrote:Haha I have had law firms ask me for UG grades. They still matter, but probably wont after your 1L year.
Some firms that had gotten my UG grades as a 1L (sending them was mistake) brought it up during 2L OCI and it definitely hurt me with those firms. I imagine if you don't have a sub3 they aren't going to care for a 2L but a sub3 might raise some red flags even as a 2L.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:14 pm

What should a cover letter to a judge include?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:50 am

Good luck to all.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Happy to report an offer at a firm I absolutely love. Also had a couple of interviews to a couple of places but accepted first offer. Didn't apply to that many places...was waiting to do it after exams but snagged my first offer before taking a single LS exam. Very grateful. Search has ended, cancelling other interviews. About 20 applications sent in total, Cravath and a few other places asked for grades when I get them; Skadden-London not hiring. HYS. Good luck to all.
Congrats!
Diversity position or no?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:13 pm

I don't know why, but I am afraid of asking law professors to be references. Do you email them? If you should stop by their office to ask, what do you do if you're already in winter break? Do you not even worry about it until you've gotten an interview?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:58 pm

Got an email back from a firm that I sent my resume/cover letter/ug transcript for a 1L position saying that they would like to interview me. Sent these materials to the recruiter not knowing they had a 1L diversity program. This firm emails me telling me they would like to interview me for their diversity positions, yet I am not a "diverse" student. I'm an HYS student that had significant economic/family difficulties, but did not write this in my cover letter at all. The firm probably knows that I am not racially diverse, but still offered me an interview. The only reason I can think that they would offer me an interview is because I'm from this area and plan to go back. Any advice about how to approach this?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an email back from a firm that I sent my resume/cover letter/ug transcript for a 1L position saying that they would like to interview me. Sent these materials to the recruiter not knowing they had a 1L diversity program. This firm emails me telling me they would like to interview me for their diversity positions, yet I am not a "diverse" student. I'm an HYS student that had significant economic/family difficulties, but did not write this in my cover letter at all. The firm probably knows that I am not racially diverse, but still offered me an interview. The only reason I can think that they would offer me an interview is because I'm from this area and plan to go back. Any advice about how to approach this?
Take the interview and kill it. Obviously don't rule yourself out of the position, let them do that for you. I'd be prepared to bring up diversity especially if asked and potentially work it in organically even if not asked.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know why, but I am afraid of asking law professors to be references. Do you email them? If you should stop by their office to ask, what do you do if you're already in winter break? Do you not even worry about it until you've gotten an interview?
I don't know. I asked my legal writing professor because that professor had a more personal relationship with me. And I asked before I left for finals. I made a wild guess I would do well in the class. Luckily I was right lol. Some positions ask for references, so I'm not sure how you would wait until after interview offers.

Edit: and I think you should email. Sorry I wasn't clear originally.

renardthecrocs

New

Post by renardthecrocs » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:37 am

Ugh they sprung this references thing on me in the email confirmation. (Not that I didn't know, in the abstract, it was a possibility, but the woman didn't mention it on the phone although she did say she'd be asking for UG grades + writing sample). How many should we have/how many of them law profs (I could ask 2-4, but 2 of those I'd have know idea how I'm going to do in the course yet)/just contact info needed, right?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:50 am

renardthecrocs wrote:Ugh they sprung this references thing on me in the email confirmation. (Not that I didn't know, in the abstract, it was a possibility, but the woman didn't mention it on the phone although she did say she'd be asking for UG grades + writing sample). How many should we have/how many of them law profs (I could ask 2-4, but 2 of those I'd have know idea how I'm going to do in the course yet)/just contact info needed, right?
I'd aim for three and they don't all have to be from law school unless they said so.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:19 am

Interview at Kirkland Ellis, DC

MVP, IP

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interview at Kirkland Ellis, DC

MVP, IP
So jealous, they told me last week they weren't taking any 1Ls in the DC office.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:21 pm

msblaw89 wrote:What should a cover letter to a judge include?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”