Drop out now? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Drop out?

Yes.
32%
No.
3%
Contingent on some factor I have not listed.
5%
Wait a bit and take finals.
43%
Defer dude. Talk it out with your school.
16%

Total votes: 37

Anonymous User

Drop out now?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:34 pm

Facts: I go to a Top 25 school with a 90% scholarship. However on midterms I did miserably (think C's). I did ok on the LSAT, but I realize I could have done a lot better with some proper prep. I feel very ambivalent towards law school in general now. I have to maintain a B average to keep said scholly. My school really doesn't place very well, and there is a very negative vibe going around the place for that reason. I realize though that other law schools may be reluctant to take in someone who previously attended, even though I don't have the grades yet really. Perhaps tactically it is a good idea to leave before grades. What to do??? My personal feeling is fuck this shit. I have some serious medical issues that need ironing out, and I just feel that a year or two down the road I'll be in a better position to take in law school, or I can do something else. My loans are tiny right now, quite manageable.

On the flipside the school has been quite nice to me. If I tell them I have medical issues they may work something out with me. These medical issues flared up right before law school. Lucky me.

???????? :?

cinephile

Gold

Re: Drop out now?

Post by cinephile » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:13 am

If you drop out today, do you get any money back? If not, why not just sit it out and take your finals?

If you're really concerned, start applying for jobs with start dates in January right now. If you do better than accepted, decline any offers.

Also, do you really want to be a lawyer or were you always on the fence. If you're not in it for the long haul, maybe dropping out would be best for you.

Also, just reread your post. I knew a guy in my section last year who did what you proposed, drop out after a semester with the intent to start 1L all over again at another school later. I'm not sure where he is now, but I guess it's do-able.

quakpond

New

Post by quakpond » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:55 am

Have you paid for the semester in full already? How much money would you be losing out on if you withdraw now? For me, if it's less than $10,000, I would do it. Here are my reasons:

1) you say the school doesn't place well and you may be able to get into a better school further down the road.

2) when you re-apply for law school you probably won't be seriously disadvantaged, because (I'm thinking) law schools probably won't care or, if they care, you can explain that it's because of your medical issues.

3) you will have a pretty good advantage over other law students when you re-do law school, and maybe you can do better.

4) assuming you would waste less than $10,000, I think its worthwhile to trade $10,000 for better first semester grades. First semester grades (and second semester grades) are really important for OCI (and getting a job).

rouser

Bronze

Post by rouser » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:05 am

if you have a big scholly that can't be changed until official grades, why not wait for official grades before considering? the answer I guess is that you have this medical condition. how severe is your condition?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:42 am

well, I have severe test anxiety, at least in law school. i also have another problem that I'd rather not share just not to out myself to the Deans reading these boards. I think the anxiety is what is getting to me. I am not sure how to deal with it. Also the fucking ADD drugs don't help. I am having trouble sleeping. Do I think I would be a kick ass attorney? Probably. But these tests are killing me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:16 am

1. Take beta blockers for test anxiety. Proplanalol is a good one.

2. If you drop out midsemester would you have to pay back your scholarship?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:46 am

Considering you say you have "medical issues that need ironing out", I suggest you talk to the dean and either take a leave of absence, or leave altogether. I'm pretty sure if you leave before you ever take a final, you can reapply in a couple of years once you're more together (if you even still want to do law at that time). Even though midterm grades can easily turn around, it sounds like you're not in a place right now to be at school in general.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:25 am

if its a medically related issue that you are facing, you should talk to the school about taking a medical leave of absence. Use that time to get healthy and learn how to manage your illness. If during this time you realize that you want to pursue another field- then go do it. Its much easier to do this now, before you have grades, because otherwise schools/ employers may think you are making an excuse ( even if its the truth).

Dont worry about money. right now you need to focus on yourself and make you your number 1, 2, 3, and 4 priority.

Good luck

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:30 am

I don't think you have anything to gain by getting "real" grades. If they turn out badly (or even just okay) getting into a better school would only be harder.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

2014utLaw

New

Post by 2014utLaw » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:56 pm

Talk to student services. You very well may be able to get extended time to take exams given your medical issues. I know several of my classmates with similar issues that have said time. Given you're no longer in 1L, it's not as likely that people in your class will notice your absence.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:08 pm

I agree with keg, northwood, etc.

I'd worry about your medical issues first. As a secondary concern, if you're at a point where you're even ambivalent about law school as you say you are, you're probably not going to be pushing yourself enough to do better than you did on midterms, so it makes no sense to wait for "real" grades . . . they're probably not going to be that great.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:17 pm

I feel like you're looking for excuses, and affirmation for a choice you've already made.

Everyone hits a wall in fall of 1L. The novelty has worn off, your classmates have already assembled in little cliques, and the weather is getting colder and drearier. It sucks.

If you seriously can't power through it, then I guess see about taking leave and coming back. The only other thing I can say is that day to day class performance and even midterm performance do not always correlate with exam success. Perhaps if you exercise some more, find some stuff to do that gives you an outlet, and then buckle down and give it a whirl, you might be very surprised with the results. Your 1L fall is a sunk cost and giving up now seems like a shame.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:27 pm

Wiseowl you are right that this is a pretty grim time for most 1Ls. I did talk to my school as usual they were super nice and let me defer the first semester. Still in the game, but sat out first round.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”