Boston SA Housing Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Boston SA Housing Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:12 pm

Any recommendations on when/where to start looking? I was thinking of waiting until the college kids start posting sublets on CL (around March?). Anyone know the general timeline for these types of things? What other sites are there? Perhaps local colleges rent out apartments or apartment-style dorms? Ideally, I'd like to be in the North End, Seaport, or Fenway/Back Bay area and pay no more than ~$800/month. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Re: Boston SA Housing Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Why is this anon?

Edit: this post ismanon because I hit wrong button, but op, c'mon man.

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any recommendations on when/where to start looking? I was thinking of waiting until the college kids start posting sublets on CL (around March?). Anyone know the general timeline for these types of things? What other sites are there? Perhaps local colleges rent out apartments or apartment-style dorms? Ideally, I'd like to be in the North End, Seaport, or Fenway/Back Bay area and pay no more than ~$800/month. Thanks in advance.
Uh, you're never going to live in those areas for that much. Not even with roommates. Nice try, though.

marmot8

New

Post by marmot8 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:30 pm

Highly unlikely that you'll find a place in any of those areas for <$800. I'd recommend checking in at the BC/BU threads in the "Ask a law student" section, but you'll likely end up with a longer commute than desired.

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:31 pm

nevdash wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any recommendations on when/where to start looking? I was thinking of waiting until the college kids start posting sublets on CL (around March?). Anyone know the general timeline for these types of things? What other sites are there? Perhaps local colleges rent out apartments or apartment-style dorms? Ideally, I'd like to be in the North End, Seaport, or Fenway/Back Bay area and pay no more than ~$800/month. Thanks in advance.
Uh, you're never going to live in those areas for that much. Not even with roommates. Nice try, though.
Fenway you can get for about 800 with roommates. Even parts of the North End, but definitely not Back Bay or Seaport.

And sublets on Craigslist is probably the way to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:38 pm

Sublet from Harvard/MIT students in Cambridge or BU/BC students and take the T into Boston.

Much more cost-effective that way. Stay away from the green line, though; it's unreliable.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:53 pm

Some schools do provide summer housing for rent, I know BU does. I lived by the Green Line in Brookline, and it is a fine area to be. The Green Line is not good, but I would not call it unreliable. Avoid line B and E of the Green line though. Line B is too full and you miss trains cause you cannot fit in + too many stops, line E is affected by traffic cause passes on the road. If you are working at Edwards/Ropes & Gray and other places located in Copley Square, I think South End is a great place to live. Up and coming, awesome area overall. $800 is unheard of for the areas you mentioned... think closer to 1400 for decent one beds.

AllTheLawz

Bronze

Post by AllTheLawz » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:15 pm

I agree that your best bet is sublet in Cambridge (Harvard/Central/Porter square). I remember when I moved here and thought rent was ridiculous but it has nothing on Fenway, Back Bay, etc. Just about everyone I know who came to Boston for an SA just did a sublet in Cambridge.

Also, if you are at Ropes give up on taking the train directly to prudential. Get off at Copley and walk.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:21 pm

I have a place in Allston that I could rent for $800 this summer if you'd like to PM me. You'd have a female roommate (it's a two bedroom), but it's pretty spacious, has elevator access, and is close to the B line.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:13 pm

summer housing in boston is a buyer's market. every year its flooded with HLS sublets because most people leave. march-ish or so.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:39 pm

Live in a neighborhood that you want to live in that’s relatively convenient for getting to your firm. What’s the point of saving $200-300/month for three months when doing so will double the time you spend commuting and when you’re making approximately $3,000/week?

If you’re working around the Pru, then live in the South End or Back Bay (or even Beacon Hill); if you’re working in the financial district, then live in Beacon Hill or the North End.

Do not move to Allston/Brighton (on the B-line) under any circumstances unless you want to have a miserable summer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”