federal district clerkship with a family member? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

federal district clerkship with a family member?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:02 pm

I'm a HYS student and my mom's cousin is a federal district judge. I don't know him all that well but he and my mom are pretty close. Is it okay to apply for a clerkship with him or is that sketchy/nepotism?

Bronte

Gold

Re: federal district clerkship with a family member?

Post by Bronte » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:09 pm

I don't think he would be allowed to hire you. See 5 U.S.C. § 3110. That's just from a quick Google search, but it seems like common sense.

tsutsik

Bronze

Post by tsutsik » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:24 pm

Bronte wrote:I don't think he would be allowed to hire you. See 5 U.S.C. § 3110. That's just from a quick Google search, but it seems like common sense.
Not that this is what this thread is about, but it doesn't look like Mom's cousin meets the definition of 'relative' in the statute you cited.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:26 pm

Why don't you reach out to him, tell him you are thinking of applying to clerk and ask for general mentoring about the process. If he wants to hire you or put in a good word with someone else, he will.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:29 pm

tsutsik wrote:
Bronte wrote:I don't think he would be allowed to hire you. See 5 U.S.C. § 3110. That's just from a quick Google search, but it seems like common sense.
Not that this is what this thread is about, but it doesn't look like Mom's cousin meets the definition of 'relative' in the statute you cited.
Yeah you're right. Didn't read the statute carefully and also thought it was his uncle. Still, I bet the guy won't be willing to do it. But like IAFG said, can't hurt to reach out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hdivschool

Bronze

Post by hdivschool » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:07 am

He probably shouldn't hire you. The relevant statute is 28 USC § 458 ("No person shall be appointed to or employed in any office or duty in any court who is related by affinity or consanguinity within the degree of first cousin to any justice or judge of such court."). It sounds like you're a first cousin once removed, which probably falls under the statute; even if it doesn't, there might be an ethical issue. See Code of Conduct for United States Judges, Canon 3(B)(3) ("A judge should exercise the power of appointment fairly and only on the basis of merit, avoiding unnecessary appointments, nepotism, and favoritism.").

But he could still recommend you, so reaching out could be worthwhile.

jess

Post by jess » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:20 am

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Borhas

Platinum

www.top-law-schools.com

Post by Borhas » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:23 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”