Lying about landing big law? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lying about landing big law?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:02 am

I recently found out one of my best friends has been lying about having an offer. It turns out he struck out at OCI and just decided to tell everyone he is going to a particularly well known firm in NYC. I have no idea how he is going to keep this lie up with everyone else but I have been sworn to secrecy.

Is this a common occurrence? Does anyone else know someone who lied about getting a big law job? How did the truth finally come out?

Diamond

Re: Lying about landing big law?

Post by 09042014 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:05 am

lol at that guy.

I suspect some people lie about getting an offer after their SA. "I got an offer, but there is NO WAY I'm going back, I hated it" sounds suspicious to me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:40 am

A couple of people did this at my school. One got found out when the hiring partner of firm X (who student Y had been saying they were going to for months) came up to student Y at a mixer and asked where they ended up going in front of a group of other students.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:52 am

lol law students

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:19 am

Well it would be pretty shitty not to get big law and then have everyone talking about getting big law. Not saying it's justified, just saying I can empathize.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:02 am

you sound like a really good friend!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:10 am

Bronte wrote:Well it would be pretty shitty not to get big law and then have everyone talking about getting big law. Not saying it's justified, just saying I can empathize.
Yeah, especially at some schools where 80% of the class gets it. It's bad enough at my school where only about 30% of the class gets big law or market-paying mid law.

The groupthink of law school drives certain students to go through OCI even if they came to law school not wanting to work in a big firm. Half my section came in wanting to do PI. I came in wanting to do an alternative/nonpracticing career. Yet we all went through OCI. Supposedly, working at a big firm is "the thing to do." Given this culture, it's not surprising that people would try to save face. I am sure a lot of people do it and then, eventually, hope everyone forgets what they said and then go back to whatever it was they came to law school to do.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:23 am

Not advertising your strike-out is one thing. Straight-up lying about it is another.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:25 am

HeavenWood wrote:Not advertising your strike-out is one thing. Straight-up lying about it is another.
Yup

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:34 am

no sense in lying about your dick size...

target

Silver

Post by target » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:36 am

crit_racer wrote:no sense in lying about your dick size...
idk, lying about one's dick size has more "tangible" benefits than lying about big-law offer.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:39 am

That's really sad. And short-sighted. I feel bad for the guy.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:48 am

I don't think it's a big deal. Striking out is a bitch, and you do what it takes to get you out of bed in the morning. If I suspected that someone was doing this, I would congratulate them and try not to bring it up again.
I imagine that the endgame involves getting a public interest job, or a job in another market, and the person saying that he changed his mind and wanted to do that kind of work.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:18 pm

We had a guy at my school randomly wear suits to class during the OCI periods. He had no interviews.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:26 pm

He has a long life ahead of him if he doesn't mature.

Having read this board since its inception, I have always been amused as the percentage of LSAT scores reported here relative to the percentage of test takers who score in the 170s.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:45 pm

I hate that we all live in this environment that makes people feel like they have to feel ashamed and lie about shit that's not in their control.

I don't rush to talk about it, but when it comes up, I don't shirk from talking about getting no-offered. For one, it wasn't because of anything I did; second, it's a lot like taking a shit: it's not exactly a pleasant experience, but I always feel better afterward.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:48 pm

How did you find out? Did your friend just come clean to you in confidence?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sheffield

Bronze

Post by Sheffield » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:54 pm

I have a friend who dreaded going back to school because she did not have an offer and figured everyone else did. I certainly have empathy. I can see where someone who is sensitive to embarrassment might try to avoid a perceived humiliation. Turns out she got an offer a few weeks later and will not discuss her offer whenever someone is around who is still looking.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A couple of people did this at my school. One got found out when the hiring partner of firm X (who student Y had been saying they were going to for months) came up to student Y at a mixer and asked where they ended up going in front of a group of other students.
oh man, so awkward.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:14 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:He has a long life ahead of him if he doesn't mature.

Having read this board since its inception, I have always been amused as the percentage of LSAT scores reported here relative to the percentage of test takers who score in the 170s.
I think the maturity statement is a little over the top. As for the LSAT, I really don't buy it. For every high score on this site, you can find people who document their intense study, and then get lower than they hoped and they are open about it. There seems to be little to no incentive to lie. People stay on here and talk about applications and admissions too. If they made up their LSAT scores, this stuff would begin to unravel. Maybe you are mad that people don't need your (surely overpriced) service? Is that it?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:34 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:He has a long life ahead of him if he doesn't mature.

I'm not at all surprised that a site made up almost entirely of T20 admits has a ton of 17Xs floating around. It would be weirder if 17Xs were rare here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:43 pm

Found out someone has been lying about landing not 1 but 2 offers...claimed they had a 1L Summer Associate job also. Friend of mine knows someone on the hiring committee...never heard of nor seen the person. Person keeps up the lie, even though 1/3 of our class knows it's total bullshit, we just nod along. Sad.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A couple of people did this at my school. One got found out when the hiring partner of firm X (who student Y had been saying they were going to for months) came up to student Y at a mixer and asked where they ended up going in front of a group of other students.
Was this mixer hosted by that firm? If so, why on Earth would you not be clever enough to avoid such a thing? Jesus.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:58 pm

I can see why someone would do that with their peers, especially at top schools. First semester 2L can be extremely rough in terms of OCI, especially when you hear about your friends getting this offer and that offer, etc. However, ultimately, it's better to just tell the truth because you never know who can help you out before it's completely too late.

I will say that I think that people in general put too much emphasis on having to do BigLaw and the "BIGLAW OR DOC REVIEW DEATH" mentality. Yes, I know it mostly has to do with high debt loads, but no one should feel inferior as a person over a type of job that makes up an extremely small percentage of legal jobs.

kingofdara

New

Post by kingofdara » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:18 pm

It's a sad thing to lie about, especially since it's so easy to figure out. Is he planning on continuing the charade through the summer?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”