IRS Honors Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

IRS Honors

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:30 pm

Anything? I heard last year they only took their own summers for their honors program.

Anonymous User

Re: IRS Honors

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:16 pm

they are interviewing at schools, at least, so presumably they are looking to hire at least 1 person.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:24 pm

They did that last year too...and then hired only their own summers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:40 pm

A lot of the agencies I've applied to have referred to not knowing their final budget for hiring. So they might interview at schools in the hopes of having money to hire more people, but end up only able to hire their summers. I'd imagine it depends on the year/budget?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:21 am

IRS extended offers to their summers and is supposedly hiring through Honors as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:46 am

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 am

Anything?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Does anybody know how long it takes to hear back from a OCI screen interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody know how long it takes to hear back from a OCI screen interview?
From my experience, almost a month and counting...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:32 pm

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:15 pm

Oh, wow. I expected an earlier response, but I guess that is how government hiring goes.

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:40 pm

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:07 pm

I guess it's a really bad time to be a young professional with the current state of the economy :S.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:24 pm

What is the process to get a callback? Do the interviewers at OCI make the decision or do they recommend applicants to other decision makers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:19 pm

Has anyone heard about callbacks yet? It sounds like the other agencies have started making contact.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Also interested as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:52 pm

Does anyone have any info about IRS hiring? If any of you are in the NYU Tax LLM program, have you heard anything since the interview?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:01 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:09 pm

I'm an LLM with solid stats, thought the screener went well, but no news here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:11 pm

So they did a resume collect at my school (T20), and that was like 2 months ago. I just heard from them this week asking me to come in to their office (in the city my school is in) to do an interview. Any idea of this is a screener or straight to a callback?

Also, does anyone have any idea how this program stacks up against biglaw jobs? I really like tax, and I think working for the IRS would be super interesting, but I would be reluctant to turn down biglaw for it (NYC V10). Anyone have any thoughts about this? Would it be easy to go back to biglaw if I were to decide gov't work isn't for me?

There's not nearly as much info/advice about this program as there is for DOJ Honors

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:39 pm

I think if you have the option for V10 BigLaw and you don't want to work in government longterm, you should take BigLaw. My impression is that IRS is helpful primarily for getting into elite groups/positions in Big 4 and breaking into the top tax boutiques. What year are you, and do you have a V10 offer you're sitting on?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

anchuldigs

New

Post by anchuldigs » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So they did a resume collect at my school (T20), and that was like 2 months ago. I just heard from them this week asking me to come in to their office (in the city my school is in) to do an interview. Any idea of this is a screener or straight to a callback?

Also, does anyone have any idea how this program stacks up against biglaw jobs? I really like tax, and I think working for the IRS would be super interesting, but I would be reluctant to turn down biglaw for it (NYC V10). Anyone have any thoughts about this? Would it be easy to go back to biglaw if I were to decide gov't work isn't for me?

There's not nearly as much info/advice about this program as there is for DOJ Honors

I know that they are still conducting screeners if that helps.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So they did a resume collect at my school (T20), and that was like 2 months ago. I just heard from them this week asking me to come in to their office (in the city my school is in) to do an interview. Any idea of this is a screener or straight to a callback?

I'd like to know this too. I am in a similar position (except for the biglaw offer). They did a resume collect, then set up an interview for the beginning of October, on-campus (the 'local' office is about an hour away) but with 3 interviewers and scheduled for an hour long. Then the government shut down and it got pushed back to next week. They are only interviewing 2 other people from my school and this seems long for a screener. I'm hoping this is the only interview I have to do, I'll jump through whatever hoops they make me, but I'd like to just get it over with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:41 pm

Maybe. My interview was about an hour, on campus, but with a single interviewer. There doesn't seem to be a fixed process, it's weird.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'd like to know this too. I am in a similar position (except for the biglaw offer). They did a resume collect, then set up an interview for the beginning of October, on-campus (the 'local' office is about an hour away) but with 3 interviewers and scheduled for an hour long. Then the government shut down and it got pushed back to next week. They are only interviewing 2 other people from my school and this seems long for a screener. I'm hoping this is the only interview I have to do, I'll jump through whatever hoops they make me, but I'd like to just get it over with.
Update: My interview was yesterday with 3 people from the closest field office, lasted about an hour. What they told me was that they [people from field offices] interview the selected candidates at their area's law schools, then send their notes/recommendations/etc to the hiring committee in DC. They said their deadline to send info to DC was very soon. DC then ranks all candidates nationally and, to the best they can, offers the candidates matched with how the application had locations/divisions/etc ranked.

They said this is almost certainly the only interview you do (there are rare second interviews in case of a tie, handled by the attorneys in that particular office/division), and while they were unable to speak for the DC committee, they made it clear that they did not want to lose all their candidates to other jobs, so I'm [hesitantly] optimistic of hearing something [with my luck, bad news] relatively soon, at least soon for the government.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”