PSA: 2Ls with open offers - accept quickly! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thesealocust

Platinum

PSA: 2Ls with open offers - accept quickly!

Post by thesealocust » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm

Especially if you only have one. Reports in this thread make it looks like firms may be seeing higher yield rates than expected, and may be looking to shut out those who have open offers but haven't accepted yet.

While it's unconfirmed and likely only a small portion of firms even if it is happening, it's still probably prudent at this point.

Anonymous User

Re: PSA: 2Ls with open offers - accept quickly!

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:37 pm

UGH. I got two offers from a small secondary market last week. Waiting on a firm from that market and two others from other secondary market. I'm just considering accepting today/tomorrow.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:43 pm

I know my firm for this past summer had a high acceptance rate early on and called people towards the end of the process asking them to take other offers if they could. They didn't shut offers down, but I don't know how many of those people went elsewhere or came anyways.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:UGH. I got two offers from a small secondary market last week. Waiting on a firm from that market and two others from other secondary market. I'm just considering accepting today/tomorrow.
Eh, this message isn't really directed at secondary market folks: you're getting your offers later, it's okay to accept them a bit later too.

People waiting interminably on NYC offers are a little different. If you've been sitting on one offer for weeks, why haven't you insisted your outstanding firms clue you in?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know my firm for this past summer had a high acceptance rate early on and called people towards the end of the process asking them to take other offers if they could. They didn't shut offers down, but I don't know how many of those people went elsewhere or came anyways.
I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of this phone call.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:04 pm

thesealocust wrote:Especially if you only have one. Reports in this thread make it looks like firms may be seeing higher yield rates than expected, and may be looking to shut out those who have open offers but haven't accepted yet.

While it's unconfirmed and likely only a small portion of firms even if it is happening, it's still probably prudent at this point.

Meh, that thread only mentioned 3-4 firms explicitly which doesn't seem panic-worthy. Now that it's October I think generally it's time to fish-or-cut-bait but I think the prospect of having an offer revoked is generally unlikely.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:29 pm

Such a snowball effect makes sense, given the stagnation/cutback in many class sizes this year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”