Is it worth it to do something nuts to get a job? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Rose789

New

Is it worth it to do something nuts to get a job?

Post by Rose789 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:49 am

I really want a job that I am underqualified for. I know that the world doesn't work to magically give underqualified law grads the jobs that they really want just because they want it that badly (I wish!) - but is it a poor move to send a letter to recruiting just being flat out honest about my knowing that I'm not usually what they look for, but that I am hard working, and pointing out reasons why I'd be good for the firm?

Think a desperate girlfriend version of your typical cover letter.

Dumbest idea ever? I figure I have absolutely nothing to lose. Except dignity. And who cares about dignity ITE.

Anonymous User

Re: Is it worth it to do something nuts to get a job?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:53 am

I know someone who sent something like this to Wachtell. You have nothing to lose but also little to gain.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:03 am

You should do it as long as you do not put anything in it that may leave them with a negative impression of you (i.e. if it is too informal, desperate, crazy, etc.)

tedalbany

Gold

Post by tedalbany » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:12 am

I took this approach with Google. Bastards never called.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:06 am

Just send a letter with the following sentence: "I am VERY good at what I do." Include some chapstick. Let innuendo take over. Profit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:16 am

Um, don't do it. They don't want desperate people. They want confident people who can promote themselves, even against all odds. If you're a partner, do you think you'll get clients that way? Also, you don't want to jeopardize your shots if you ever want to lateral. You'll always remain "that crazy guy/girl..."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:35 am

I showed up to Sidley Chicago with a boom box over my head and tears streaming down my face. Offer

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:41 am

Shouldn't a normal cover letter include the reasons that the firm should hire you? The only difference appears to be the desperation component.

I think a better idea would be to just mass mail and try to sound sincere about your interest in the firm.

RickyDnwhyc

Bronze

Post by RickyDnwhyc » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:02 pm

When I saw the title of this thread I pictured a dramatic hostage situation where OP has an AK-47 and several blocks of C4 strapped to his body.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:47 pm

It's worth doing something nuts to get a job. Taking four classes in one day because all the profs are on the clerkship committee is nuts and a good idea. Asking every partner-alum out to coffee is nuts and a good idea. Learning a foreign language, taking the patent bar, or passing the CPA exam for a job are nuts and good ideas. Coming across as over-eager, desperate or underqualified in a cover letter is nuts and a bad idea.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:57 pm

What is the point of a foreign language?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:21 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:It's worth doing something nuts to get a job. Taking four classes in one day because all the profs are on the clerkship committee is nuts and a good idea. Asking every partner-alum out to coffee is nuts and a good idea. Learning a foreign language, taking the patent bar, or passing the CPA exam for a job are nuts and good ideas. Coming across as over-eager, desperate or underqualified in a cover letter is nuts and a bad idea.
+1 to each point

bigredforlaw

New

Post by bigredforlaw » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:04 pm

IAFG wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:It's worth doing something nuts to get a job. Taking four classes in one day because all the profs are on the clerkship committee is nuts and a good idea. Asking every partner-alum out to coffee is nuts and a good idea. Learning a foreign language, taking the patent bar, or passing the CPA exam for a job are nuts and good ideas. Coming across as over-eager, desperate or underqualified in a cover letter is nuts and a bad idea.
+1 to each point
Also completely agree. However, there is something to be said for writing a cover letter that shows your sincere interest in a firm despite your lack of qualifications. First, it doesn't take that long, and second, it doesn't have to sound desperate. I did this for a bunch of IP firms that noted an advanced [insert science field] degree or significant work experience was REQUIRED to bid. I have neither and didn't mention it in my cover letter (it's clear from my resume) but stressed my commitment to an IP career and other non-technical skills I could offer, such as a background in science journalism. I figured if the firm was after EEs only and wasn't 100% prosecution then my communication skills should help me stand out. This didn't work 75% of the time but I got 2 CBs for positions for which I am totally unqualified and 1 offer ITE. YOU ONLY NEED 1!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rose789

New

Post by Rose789 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:20 am

Yeah, thinking that some gushy letter to the firm would do anything beneficial was pretty stupid on my part.

Learning a new language is probably the best "crazy" thing I could do. A lot of firms involved in international transactions want people who speak Mandarin and other oriental languages, and a lot of firms in the South want people who speak Spanish. I could see tacking either on to my resume as a bigger boost than an "I love you and I swear I'll work my heart out" type of letter.

Considered hostage-taking, but figured that may not go over so well with the bar examiners.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:25 am

IAFG wrote:
+1 to each point
+180, said so much better than i could have. i was just gonna come insult the OP for being a loser.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”