Success of people targeting Florida BigLaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Success of people targeting Florida BigLaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interested in how people targeting Florida (tampa or so. fla) biglaw have done. I know one person with a Foley & Lardner tampa offer. Other people I know targeting FL aren't doing so hot, few CBs, no offers. Anybody out there doing well?
I'm from UF and the kids interviewing at FL biglaw here, myself included, have done just fine. Many in the top 10-15% have multiple offers from Florida big law firms. A lot of those kids haven't accepted yet so just wait it out. As soon as people start responding to offers, there should be more movement.
I also go to Florida and this is a little rosier than the truth. There is a smallish group of people who have done very well, but only a handful have multiple biglaw offers unless you include the mid-sized Florida "baby" biglaw (e.g., Fowler White). Top 10%+LR as a group are doing okay, but this includes placement in reputable midsized firms rather than just biglaw. I would bet no more than 15-20 (5%) have a biglaw offer at this time.

Florida is very difficult to crack because there are very few SA spots, and they strongly prefer people from within the state, and often from within the city (Tampa vs. Miami). The out-of-state people generally have very good grades and did undergraduate within the state.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:24 pm

I also want to point out that not only are Florida biglaw firms hiring only 4 or 5 SA, most of them only take 1 or 2 students from a FL school.

For example, Bilzin's 2012 SA class had 1 person from UF and 1 from UMiami with the rest from out of state. H&K I believe had a similar makeup.

Point is that biglaw firms dont exactly fill their entire SA classes with students from a Florida law school. Another factor to consider.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:27 pm

tim.janitor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interested in how people targeting Florida (tampa or so. fla) biglaw have done. I know one person with a Foley & Lardner tampa offer. Other people I know targeting FL aren't doing so hot, few CBs, no offers. Anybody out there doing well?

I'm from UF and the kids interviewing at FL biglaw here, myself included, have done just fine. Many in the top 10-15% have multiple offers from Florida big law firms. A lot of those kids haven't accepted yet so just wait it out. As soon as people start responding to offers, there should be more movement.
I don't think there are enough SAs spot in the whole state of Florida for the top 10-15% of UF to have an SA gig (referring to Big Law firms of course).
I said many. Not the whole thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:56 pm

FL is tough. FL native, T14 transfer with good grades and 1 offer. It's one of those midlaw/biglaw offers - pays market but the firm isn't GT/HK.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FL is tough. FL native, T14 transfer with good grades and 1 offer. It's one of those midlaw/biglaw offers - pays market but the firm isn't GT/HK.
Aka Bilzin/Gunster? Are there any other FL firms that fit that profile?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:FL is tough. FL native, T14 transfer with good grades and 1 offer. It's one of those midlaw/biglaw offers - pays market but the firm isn't GT/HK.
Akerman Senterfitt, Carlton Fields, Stearns Weaver in Miami. If he's talking about a different market like Jax or Tampa where "market" is lower (probably around 105 - 110) there are several other firms that fit this profile.

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:57 pm

badaboom61 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Akerman Senterfitt, Carlton Fields, Stearns Weaver in Miami. If he's talking about a different market like Jax or Tampa where "market" is lower (probably around 105 - 110) there are several other firms that fit this profile.
I'd say Akerman is biglaw - nlj250, 500 attorneys, and offices outside of the south east. Carlton Fields is debatable. I know in tampa hill ward henderson may fit that profile. Seems like there isn't much market paying regional big law.

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:05 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'd say Akerman is biglaw - nlj250, 500 attorneys, and offices outside of the south east. Carlton Fields is debatable. I know in tampa Hill Ward Henderson may fit that profile. Seems like there isn't much market paying regional big law.
I'd agree, although he called it midlaw / biglaw. I took that to mean either. lowndes Drosdick in Orlando also fits this profile.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:44 am

gdane wrote:I also want to point out that not only are Florida biglaw firms hiring only 4 or 5 SA, most of them only take 1 or 2 students from a FL school.

For example, Bilzin's 2012 SA class had 1 person from UF and 1 from UMiami with the rest from out of state. H&K I believe had a similar makeup.

Point is that biglaw firms dont exactly fill their entire SA classes with students from a Florida law school. Another factor to consider.
This is true. A friend of mine at CCN on LR has been going down to Miami and has collected 3 offers from the big firms. Not sure if he will accept. (Has strong Miami ties).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
gdane wrote:I also want to point out that not only are Florida biglaw firms hiring only 4 or 5 SA, most of them only take 1 or 2 students from a FL school.

This is true. A friend of mine at CCN on LR has been going down to Miami and has collected 3 offers from the big firms. Not sure if he will accept. (Has strong Miami ties).
Columbia NYU, LR and he's considering Big Law in Miami? I'm sure he has big NY offers and I'm pretty sure he isn't from UChicago so he's already in NY. Tell him to do the right thing and turn those down so people who would really consider Miami BigLaw can get a chance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Columbia NYU, LR and he's considering Big Law in Miami? I'm sure he has big NY offers and I'm pretty sure he isn't from UChicago so he's already in NY. Tell him to do the right thing and turn those down so people who would really consider Miami BigLaw can get a chance.
Miami biglaw is far more difficult to get than New York biglaw for students at top schools, even with strong ties. There are also plenty of reasons that people would want to be in Miami over NYC, even if the firm has a lower vault ranking (terrifying idea, I know!). I for one would take Miami over NYC any day of the week, but couldn't get a job there so will be going to NYC instead.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Miami biglaw is far more difficult to get than New York biglaw for students at top schools, even with strong ties. There are also plenty of reasons that people would want to be in Miami over NYC, even if the firm has a lower vault ranking (terrifying idea, I know!). I for one would take Miami over NYC any day of the week, but couldn't get a job there so will be going to NYC instead.
Understood. At the very least tell him to hurry up lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote: Understood. At the very least tell him to hurry up lol
I think this can be said to everyone in every market who has biglaw offers outstanding.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:12 am

I can't hold it against an out-of-state student from Miami that wants Miami biglaw. What is screwing "the locals" is out-of-state students with no ties to Miami, or even the state, that are just hitting whatever market they can in hopes of landing biglaw.

Firms down here seem to love this though. A GT interviewer flat out told me "[W]e're getting resumes from Berkely and NYU kids, kids that in the past we had to make a real effort to attract. It's great that we have so many qualified kids to choose from now."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:49 pm

Offer from White and Case. T14.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:53 pm

Has anyone received a ding from GT?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:14 pm

Friend of mine at UF law got/accepted an offer an Baker Hostetler Orlando very recently.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:09 pm

gdane wrote:I can't hold it against an out-of-state student from Miami that wants Miami biglaw. What is screwing "the locals" is out-of-state students with no ties to Miami, or even the state, that are just hitting whatever market they can in hopes of landing biglaw.

Firms down here seem to love this though. A GT interviewer flat out told me "[W]e're getting resumes from Berkely and NYU kids, kids that in the past we had to make a real effort to attract. It's great that we have so many qualified kids to choose from now."

I have heard this as well. At many of the "callback festivals" I went to there were kids from the T14 as well as my state school and this did come up at GT. That being said, I think their class will be a mixed bag. I'm pretty far outside of T14, school-wise, and will be at Greenberg this summer. Seeing as there are two others in this thread going to GT, we should have a GT party.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
gdane wrote:I can't hold it against an out-of-state student from Miami that wants Miami biglaw. What is screwing "the locals" is out-of-state students with no ties to Miami, or even the state, that are just hitting whatever market they can in hopes of landing biglaw.

I have heard this as well. At many of the "callback festivals" I went to there were kids from the T14 as well as my state school and this did come up at GT. That being said, I think their class will be a mixed bag. I'm pretty far outside of T14, school-wise, and will be at Greenberg this summer. Seeing as there are two others in this thread going to GT, we should have a GT party.
When did you get your offer? Stats?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:37 pm

My definition of a midlaw/biglaw hybrid is a market-paying firm that isn't truly national. In Miami this is Bilzin, Gunster, Carlton Fields. Orlando and Tampa have HIll Ward, lowndes, GrayRobinson, Burr, and Fowler. Jax has Rogers Towers and Smith Busey. All of these are good firms, and a firm like lowndes is considered by many to be the premier office in Orlando.

As for T14s, it is much harder to land Miami than NY. Generally it requires strong ties; however, I have seen some people with virtually no ties land at big firms by having a compelling story (White & Case). To give you an idea of how competitive it is, Skadden NY is expecting 67 SA's in that office this year. There are only around 40 SA spots total in Miami.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:21 pm

IL. H/Y/S from FL, undergrad in FL, diverse applicant

thoughts? I get the feeling pretty much no one from my law school is even considering FL. I don't even know if any one else has ties, so I was feeling good, but from what you all are saying a top law school with ties still isn't enough? So what are they looking for?

no one is really mentioning Weil's small satellite office. Any idea how many SAs they take? I'm guessing one a year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:IL. H/Y/S from FL, undergrad in FL, diverse applicant

thoughts? I get the feeling pretty much no one from my law school is even considering FL. I don't even know if any one else has ties, so I was feeling good, but from what you all are saying a top law school with ties still isn't enough? So what are they looking for?

no one is really mentioning Weil's small satellite office. Any idea how many SAs they take? I'm guessing one a year.
Went to a reception from Akerman this past summer for rising 2Ls from out of town. Room was filled with about 40 people including at least two native miami hispanic H students, over half were native T14'ers, then a ton of Emory people. Akerman was hiring 2 people for the summer (as far as I'm aware). These were just the people in town attending the reception. Going to a top school is helpful, but if you don't click, there are a lot of people for them to choose from with similar qualifications.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

When did you get your offer? Stats?

A few weeks ago. I'm top 10 kids at my school with law review. I also did some pretty cool stuff before law school. No prior work experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:My definition of a midlaw/biglaw hybrid is a market-paying firm that isn't truly national. In Miami this is Bilzin, Gunster, Carlton Fields. Orlando and Tampa have HIll Ward, Lowndes, GrayRobinson, Burr, and Fowler. Jax has Rogers Towers and Smith Busey. All of these are good firms, and a firm like Lowndes is considered by many to be the premier office in Orlando.

As for T14s, it is much harder to land Miami than NY. Generally it requires strong ties; however, I have seen some people with virtually no ties land at big firms by having a compelling story (White & Case). To give you an idea of how competitive it is, Skadden NY is expecting 67 SA's in that office this year. There are only around 40 SA spots total in Miami.
CCNer here. I have an offer from one of the above mentioned firms. Currently choosing between V40 NYC firm and the FL mid/biglaw. My wife and I pretty much cant stand NY and would love to return to FL. My debt load will be low (30-40k). Obviously the NY firm does larger work, but Im way more interested in QOL than the work. So, my question is... is there a reason I should take the big firm?

Wrt ties, my callback interview with the FL firm said they have 3 requirements for SAs to be hired: 1. Great grades 2. Native of location of the office 3. Cant be an asshole. At least in my experience, ties are mad important.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:38 pm

Here is the way I look at it. The top NY firms are prestigious and look great on a resume. But practicing law is so much about people. Wouldn't you rather get your life started in the region you want to work and establish your legal roots? Coming from a major FL city, I see how FL attorneys and judges all know one another. Seems critical to building a practice.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”