Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) Honors Program Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mvk216

New

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) Honors Program

Post by mvk216 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:25 pm

Has anyone who applied heard from the CFPB yet? The deadline was about 2 weeks ago - not sure how long it will take for them to review applications.

Anonymous User

Re: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) Honors Program

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:35 pm

Applied - haven't heard anything.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:49 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrosmith

Bronze

Post by mrosmith » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:20 pm

Every 3L in America applied after it was a featured job on abovethelaw.com.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:23 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:56 pm

I applied too. Have not heard anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:19 am

I am completely not expecting to hear anything back from this as I applied on a wing and a prayer... but has anyone heard any news?

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am completely not expecting to hear anything back from this as I applied on a wing and a prayer... but has anyone heard any news?
There most likely won't be any news until after the dust settles from the election.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:33 am

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am completely not expecting to hear anything back from this as I applied on a wing and a prayer... but has anyone heard any news?
There most likely won't be any news until after the dust settles from the election.
Ah, thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:48 pm

Anyone have an idea what stats you need to get an interview/offer? Somebody in another thread said CoA clerkship level, which sounded ridiculous to me. Hard to get a feel since it's such a new program.

Mine are:
T25, top 10%, demonstrated interest in subject matter.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:50 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have an idea what stats you need to get an interview/offer? Somebody in another thread said CoA clerkship level, which sounded ridiculous to me. Hard to get a feel since it's such a new program.

Mine are:
T25, top 10%, demonstrated interest in subject matter.
Demonstrated interest in subject matter is always a risky proposition. Law schools don't teach actual consumer finance law or banking law (rarely do they teach routine securities enforcement and even rarer is securities compliance), they teach courses about policy and fraud, which aren't 1-to-1 mappings for someone like the CFPB. Further, interest like working at a mutual fund or insurance company is relevant, but there are hundreds of equally situated law students because those companies have so many employees with such a high turnover. Short of actual work at one of the federal financial agencies or an internship at one of them (or maybe one of the better state AG's offices in consumer protection enforcement), I would be reluctant to believe demonstrated interest gives a leg up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:28 pm

ajax adonis wrote:The agency is so new, would anyone actually have any stats???
This is the fellowship's second year. I just wanted some reassurance that posters in an earlier thread were being hyperbolic. Starting at the CFPB is basically my dream job, so I may just be a little antsy.

LawIdiot86 wrote: Demonstrated interest in subject matter is always a risky proposition. Law schools don't teach actual consumer finance law or banking law (rarely do they teach routine securities enforcement and even rarer is securities compliance), they teach courses about policy and fraud, which aren't 1-to-1 mappings for someone like the CFPB. Further, interest like working at a mutual fund or insurance company is relevant, but there are hundreds of equally situated law students because those companies have so many employees with such a high turnover. Short of actual work at one of the federal financial agencies or an internship at one of them (or maybe one of the better state AG's offices in consumer protection enforcement), I would be reluctant to believe demonstrated interest gives a leg up.
I've externed for a federal financial agency, wrote my comment on something relevant to the agency, do community outreach on financial issues, was a SA and most of my work revolved around defending big banks against stuff like FDCPA/disclosures/etc, and I research securities compliance for a small firm as a part time deal during the school year.

I agree that taking a class or two doesn't count, but I've been very proactive about doing things outside law school -- enough to think that it benefits my application.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:37 pm

I have no idea if previous posters were being hyperbolic, but since agencies are getting literally thousands of applications, for classes of what, 10? 15, tops?, they probably could select for COA-level stats if they wanted. I just don't think anyone yet knows what they really are selecting for.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:The agency is so new, would anyone actually have any stats???
This is the fellowship's second year. I just wanted some reassurance that posters in an earlier thread were being hyperbolic. Starting at the CFPB is basically my dream job, so I may just be a little antsy.

LawIdiot86 wrote: Demonstrated interest in subject matter is always a risky proposition. Law schools don't teach actual consumer finance law or banking law (rarely do they teach routine securities enforcement and even rarer is securities compliance), they teach courses about policy and fraud, which aren't 1-to-1 mappings for someone like the CFPB. Further, interest like working at a mutual fund or insurance company is relevant, but there are hundreds of equally situated law students because those companies have so many employees with such a high turnover. Short of actual work at one of the federal financial agencies or an internship at one of them (or maybe one of the better state AG's offices in consumer protection enforcement), I would be reluctant to believe demonstrated interest gives a leg up.
I've externed for a federal financial agency, wrote my comment on something relevant to the agency, do community outreach on financial issues, was a SA and most of my work revolved around defending big banks against stuff like FDCPA/disclosures/etc, and I research securities compliance for a small firm as a part time deal during the school year.

I agree that taking a class or two doesn't count, but I've been very proactive about doing things outside law school -- enough to think that it benefits my application.
That sounds like a resume that would at least get a screener from my past experience interviewing with financial honors programs. They aren't generally as school-snobbish as biglaw, but the odds are stacked against anyone. I still would not expect to start at the CFPB though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:27 pm

I just got invited to interview today. I declined because I accepted another offer, but just wanted to let people know that there's movement now.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:11 pm

Mine is still at reviewing apps -- here's to hoping I hear something Monday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Stats?
Top 10% at a top 20 school, currently completing a federal appellate clerkship. Good luck to all!

jadjerd

New

Post by jadjerd » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:18 am

Just got a "not selected" through the awkward medium of USA jobs, if that helps. Which is funny b/c I just called someone at CFPB today to ask about status. He told me that they had interviewed an initial round but there was a possibility they would pull in more applications depending on how the first round went. I wasn't expecting anything, but it was quite a coincidence that I suddenly received a rejection.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:32 am

How did they notify you that you weren't selected? My status on USAJobs hasn't changed. I figured they just didn't update it that much.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:39 am

Mine just says "Reviewing Applications."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:58 am

Mine still says "Reviewing Applications" too. Although USAJOBS does update status and will notify you (if you signed up for updates) - I was dinged by the Department of the Interior, which used USAJOBS, and my status changed from "Referred to Selecting Official" (or something like that) to "Not Referred to Selecting Official" (and USAJOBS sent me an e-mail telling me my status had changed). Kinda wish that if they've done a first round of interviews they'd just ding the rest of us and get it over with!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:01 am

I kind of forgot about it until I saw this thread. Just figured it was a long shot.

jadjerd

New

Post by jadjerd » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:53 pm

Same here: just got an email notification that my application status had changed from USA Jobs. Then I had to search all over to confirm that "not selected" meant "not selected for real go find another job." (I searched under the FAQs on the main USAjobs page for application status).

Good luck.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”