HUD Legal Honors Program Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: HUD Legal Honors Program

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My interview didn't go very well. Best of luck to the rest of TLS haha
Aw don't lose hope until you hear a decision!

If you don't mind me asking, what type of questions were asked?

They were standard interview questions (i.e., what made you want to apply to HUD, etc). The questions mainly were focused on why HUD, so you need to do your homework on HUD (i.e., know HUD mission statement, what HUD does (affordable housing, fight homelessness, etc). Best advice is to read as much as you can about HUD and what it does for the interview.
Always someone who has to make it unfair. Way to go bro.
C'mon, it's not like any of those questions are anything other than what anyone with half a brain would anticipate for an interview - I hardly think they're giving anyone an unfair advantage.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:38 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Aw don't lose hope until you hear a decision!

If you don't mind me asking, what type of questions were asked?

They were standard interview questions (i.e., what made you want to apply to HUD, etc). The questions mainly were focused on why HUD, so you need to do your homework on HUD (i.e., know HUD mission statement, what HUD does (affordable housing, fight homelessness, etc). Best advice is to read as much as you can about HUD and what it does for the interview.
C'mon, it's not like any of those questions are anything other than what anyone with half a brain would anticipate for an interview - I hardly think they're giving anyone an unfair advantage.
Just think it's better to not say anything at all, weed out those who aren't smart enough to do the legwork ahead of time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:50 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Just think it's better to not say anything at all, weed out those who aren't smart enough to do the legwork ahead of time.

I agree - please take this post down. I had no idea what the questions were in advance and as you suggest, did prepare assuming the questions would be of that nature, but it's completely not cool to leave them up and give any advantage (even if it just mitigates nerves) to other people. Others have removed similar posts for the same reasons. Please do the right thing and remove yours.

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I agree - please take this post down. I had no idea what the questions were in advance and as you suggest, did prepare assuming the questions would be of that nature, but it's completely not cool to leave them up and give any advantage (even if it just mitigates nerves) to other people. Others have removed similar posts for the same reasons. Please do the right thing and remove yours.
Are you really shocked that HUD asked Why HUD? in an interview for a position with HUD? The things the person mentioned are basics when going into an interview with a government agency. It's not like it's some big secret that you should research HUD before interviewing with HUD.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:05 am

starchinkilt wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Are you really shocked that HUD asked Why HUD? in an interview for a position with HUD? The things the person mentioned are basics when going into an interview with a government agency. It's not like it's some big secret that you should research HUD before interviewing with HUD.
I didn't say anything about being shocked. If you had read my post, you would have seen that I said I was prepared for those types of questions. The point is—as the person before me mentioned, and as others have posted in this thread and in prior years' threads—posting the questions is just a crappy thing to do, especially when it is a uniform set of questions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:08 am

If it's a uniform set of questions, that means some people will have access to them (my school keeps a database of such things) and posting them can only further level the playing field. It's not crappy, it's making things more fair.

Also, every single agency ever you should be prepared to answer "Why X"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If it's a uniform set of questions, that means some people will have access to them (my school keeps a database of such things) and posting them can only further level the playing field. It's not crappy, it's making things more fair.

Also, every single agency ever you should be prepared to answer "Why X"
It's more than just "why X" that was shared. And by stating that it's a uniform set of questions this year doesn't necessarily mean that they're the same questions that were used in year's past. I also got the impression that they were uniform because they were listed on like a work-sheet type thing. Regardless, interviews end today, and hopefully we'll all be hearing within the next few weeks. Best of luck everyone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:06 pm

My references were called today.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My references were called today.
Does anyone know if they call everyone's? Or is your references getting called a good sign?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Does anyone know if they call everyone's? Or is your references getting called a good sign?
I don't know. But mine were called, too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Assuming they don't plan on doing any more interviews, it's usually the final step before offers are made.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Assuming they don't plan on doing any more interviews, it's usually the final step before offers are made.
During my interview I was told that interviews would conclude on the 26th, so yesterday. So, if they have stuck to the timeline, interviews are over. I just didn't know if they called the references of everyone they interviewed, or if having my references called was a good sign. I didn't feel like my interview went that well, so I was surprised that I was possibly being genuinely considered.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:57 pm

my references were called too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:37 pm

For those of you that had their references called, mind sharing when you interviewed. I just interviewed a few days ago so just curious if they are going in order or I should be discouraged.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you that had their references called, mind sharing when you interviewed. I just interviewed a few days ago so just curious if they are going in order or I should be discouraged.
Interviewed on the 15th, references called today

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:18 pm

FWIW, my interviewer told me that decisions should be made in late december to early january.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, my interviewer told me that decisions should be made in late december to early january.
Mine said decisions would be made before the holidays.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:02 pm

I was told that they would be made by mid December. Hopefully it won't be too long.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was told that they would be made by mid December. Hopefully it won't be too long.
I would guess that since they have contacted references, they are in the final stage of deciding who to make offers to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was told that they would be made by mid December. Hopefully it won't be too long.
Anonymous User wrote:
I would guess that since they have contacted references, they are in the final stage of deciding who to make offers to.
well, I hope you are right. They contacted my reference the monday after my friday interview, Nov. 19th. My interviewer told me that HUD usually has intentions of getting hiring done by mid-Dec but that this intention rarely translates into action...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
well, I hope you are right. They contacted my reference the monday after my friday interview, Nov. 19th. My interviewer told me that HUD usually has intentions of getting hiring done by mid-Dec but that this intention rarely translates into action...
They contacted my references after a longer time, Idk if that means anything. I just hope they know one way or the other soon...hate waiting for stuff like this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:56 pm

Is there anyone out there who interviewed but didn't have their references contacted? Mine were, just wondering if it means anything or not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there anyone out there who interviewed but didn't have their references contacted? Mine were, just wondering if it means anything or not.
Also interested in this. Everyone on here so far seems to have had his or her references called, but it doesn't make much sense to check the references of someone they don't already want to move forward after an interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:24 pm

I was hoping it was a good thing to have my references called. From what I heard it sounded like they chatted for a bit with my references also. I don't know how to take any of that though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”