QOL at Magic Circle? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tengoqueso

New

QOL at Magic Circle?

Post by tengoqueso » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:39 pm

I've heard vague indications that the Brit firms offer an incrementally more relaxed work environment, or slightly better QOL. Can anyone confirm, deny, clarify? I'm interested in transactional work and weighing a Linklaters summer offer for NY. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: QOL at Magic Circle?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:41 pm

the OPPOSITE is actually true. these firms are the V5 of the UK and the work-life in NYC reflects this, IMO.

sophie316

Bronze

Post by sophie316 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:10 pm

The one person I know at the NY office of a Magic Circle firm works harder than anyone else I know in biglaw. 80 hour weeks basically since starting last fall, denied vacations they requested etc. I'm sure thats not true for everyone, but these offices are smaller, with fewer support staff and more to prove than the big US firms in NY.

Editing this to add that there are good things about the MC too, such as international brand awareness, opportunities to work abroad etc. But expecting it to be any less work/more chill in NY is prob setting yourself up for disappointment.
Last edited by sophie316 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:13 pm

Worked overseas for a Magic Circle firm. Since the practice area is almost always capital market, the QOL is comparable to that of NY biglaws.

However, Magic Circle firms do make you take a lot of vacations (5 weeks at my firm) a year and people REALLY DO USE THEM. So yes, they work you like animal just as NY firms, but you get a couple more weeks of vacations each year.

The additional plus is that there is usually a COLA package (40k to 90k USD extra salary depending on your experience) if you work overseas as a US lawyer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:01 pm

I know a person at Linklaters NYC who works like a dog, certainly on par with American firms in NYC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:04 am

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:51 am

Probably not any better or worse than other NYC big law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”