Recommended reading Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Recommended reading

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:35 pm

Accepted an offer with an office that does mainly transactional/finance/corporate work. Have no finance/business background and don't want to go into the summer program feeling behind the eight ball. Any books, articles, etc. that are highly recommended for someone in my position? Thanks.

lr1995

New

Re: Recommended reading

Post by lr1995 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:10 am

You'll learn everything on the job, but for general background info...

Relevant: "The Big Short" by Michael Lewis.
Oldie, but still good: "Barbarians at the Gate" by Burrough and Helyar

WSJ or Financial Times for current events.

Anonymous User

Re: Recommended reading

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:14 am

Try look around on your firm's website and see if they have any client updates, know-how articles and other practice related publications. I felt that really helped me because writing those things was a lot of what I did during the summer (and seems to be what junior associates do from time to time as well). If you are really looking for something to read to prepare your summer, I hope my suggestion might be helpful.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”