DC Lit Decision: Wilmer, A&P, Hogan Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm?

WilmerHale
50%
Arnold & Porter
38%
Hogan Lovells
13%

Total votes: 16

Anonymous User

DC Lit Decision: Wilmer, A&P, Hogan

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:47 pm

I'm really fortunate to have ended up with these offers, but am having a tough time making a decision. I'm fairly sure I want to litigate but also have an interest in antitrust (mostly on the litigation/investigation/criminal side). I'd like to be at the firm 4-5 years and then do a stint in the government.

I liked the people at each, but probably clicked most with my Hogan interviewers and least with A&P. Other factors I'm weighing are:
(1) Work/life balance--I know I'm going to work hard at any of these places, but there is a big difference between eating dinner at home and staying at the office past 9 every night, and there's a big difference between logging in for a couple of hours most weekends and regularly spending weekend days at the office.
(2) Substantive early experience.
(3) Firm stability and financial health.
(4) Overall associate satisfaction/morale--I'm trying to talk to alums at each firm and especially who have recently left each firm, but interested in impressions other TLSers got from their interviews.

Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: DC Lit Decision: Wilmer, A&P, Hogan

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm really fortunate to have ended up with these offers, but am having a tough time making a decision. I'm fairly sure I want to litigate but also have an interest in antitrust (mostly on the litigation/investigation/criminal side). I'd like to be at the firm 4-5 years and then do a stint in the government.

I liked the people at each, but probably clicked most with my Hogan interviewers and least with A&P. Other factors I'm weighing are:
(1) Work/life balance--I know I'm going to work hard at any of these places, but there is a big difference between eating dinner at home and staying at the office past 9 every night, and there's a big difference between logging in for a couple of hours most weekends and regularly spending weekend days at the office.
(2) Substantive early experience.
(3) Firm stability and financial health.
(4) Overall associate satisfaction/morale--I'm trying to talk to alums at each firm and especially who have recently left each firm, but interested in impressions other TLSers got from their interviews.

Thoughts?
Can't speak with any reliability to the QOL questions, but given that you want to work in litigation rather than regulatory I'd strike Hogan from the list. If you're seriously interested in antitrust A&P probably has the best practice - http://www.chambersandpartners.com/uk/E ... 1#org_3811 - but Wilmer might be a slightly stronger firm and has a great rep as a revolving door for transitioning into government.

Anyways, can't go wrong.

Anonymous User

Re: DC Lit Decision: Wilmer, A&P, Hogan

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:04 pm

I think it should be down to A&P or Hogan. You seem to like Hogan and it's a good firm for litigation, contrary to what the other poster said. No doubt that A&P is very strong in antitrust across the board, but a lot of its reputation is built on merger clearance work. I don't know for sure, but i'm guessing that Hogan's AT practice skews more heavily to litigation than regulatory (at least relative to A&Ps).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”