Chances of Getting Into Air Force Jag? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chances of Getting Into Air Force Jag?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:24 am

I apologize ahead of time, as I know that this has been posted and answered several times on this board. But I wanted to throw out my own thread to give my personal background.

I don't go to a particularly good law school (tier IV...which is why I'm sporting the anonymous post :? ). My grades place me in the middle of the class, primarily because I've spent a majority of my time trying to get the best grades in my writing classes, as that is one of my passions (In other words, I spend most of my time researching and making my papers as perfect as possible, to the detriment of my doctrinal courses...I hardly read or did any work on classes...just enough to get by if I was called on in class, then crammed for finals). My grades in my legal writing/appellate advocacy classes are very good. Also, my law school has a nasty curve, so my grades look lower than what they would be if I attended a different law school.

I am on my school's national Moot Court Team and served as the primary brief-writer (I did the oral arguments as well though), I'm on the Moot Court Honors Board, in Phi Delta Phi, and I'm a teacher's assistant for Appellate Advocacy as well. I have completed a ton of community service during my time in law school, as well as undergrad.

I went to undergrad at a very good Jesuit college, and had a decent GPA.

I have family members who were in the Air Force (don't know if they pay any attention to this)

I am physically fit (I wouldn't anticipate having any sort of problems with the fitness tests)

As far as the letters of recommendation, I've got two law professors who can attest to my writing abilities and my work ethic, and I was also thinking of asking a Jesuit from undergrad with whom I am very close to attest to morality and things of that sort. Also was considering maybe asking some former coaches (I was captain of my high school football team, played college ball...so they can attest to leadership etc.)

Also, I've never taken any drugs I wasn't prescribed. EVER. haha

I know it's hard, but I'm relatively unfamiliar with the process aside from what I've read in the sources that I've been able to find. I really don't want any smart a$$ remarks, so if you don't have any useful feedback, then please don't leave a comment. If you don't think I have a chance, then by all means tell me...but I know how some of the people on here are with the sarcasm/insults etc.

But I would really love to get into the Air Force Jag. My fiance is all for it, and it seems like a perfect fit for me, personally. I'm going to go all out in trying to get in, but I've convinced myself that I don't really stand much of a chance given the law school I attend and being in the middle of the class.

Buck.Shot

New

Re: Chances of Getting Into Air Force Jag?

Post by Buck.Shot » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Also, I've never taken any drugs I wasn't prescribed. EVER. haha
You sound lame.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:58 am

Buck.Shot wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also, I've never taken any drugs I wasn't prescribed. EVER. haha
You sound lame.
LOL!

I am very lame. haha

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:I apologize ahead of time, as I know that this has been posted and answered several times on this board. But I wanted to throw out my own thread to give my personal background.

I don't go to a particularly good law school (tier IV...which is why I'm sporting the anonymous post :? ). My grades place me in the middle of the class, primarily because I've spent a majority of my time trying to get the best grades in my writing classes, as that is one of my passions (In other words, I spend most of my time researching and making my papers as perfect as possible, to the detriment of my doctrinal courses...I hardly read or did any work on classes...just enough to get by if I was called on in class, then crammed for finals). My grades in my legal writing/appellate advocacy classes are very good. Also, my law school has a nasty curve, so my grades look lower than what they would be if I attended a different law school.

I am on my school's national Moot Court Team and served as the primary brief-writer (I did the oral arguments as well though), I'm on the Moot Court Honors Board, in Phi Delta Phi, and I'm a teacher's assistant for Appellate Advocacy as well. I have completed a ton of community service during my time in law school, as well as undergrad.

I went to undergrad at a very good Jesuit college, and had a decent GPA.

I have family members who were in the Air Force (don't know if they pay any attention to this)

I am physically fit (I wouldn't anticipate having any sort of problems with the fitness tests)

As far as the letters of recommendation, I've got two law professors who can attest to my writing abilities and my work ethic, and I was also thinking of asking a Jesuit from undergrad with whom I am very close to attest to morality and things of that sort. Also was considering maybe asking some former coaches (I was captain of my high school football team, played college ball...so they can attest to leadership etc.)

Also, I've never taken any drugs I wasn't prescribed. EVER. haha

I know it's hard, but I'm relatively unfamiliar with the process aside from what I've read in the sources that I've been able to find. I really don't want any smart a$$ remarks, so if you don't have any useful feedback, then please don't leave a comment. If you don't think I have a chance, then by all means tell me...but I know how some of the people on here are with the sarcasm/insults etc.

But I would really love to get into the Air Force Jag. My fiance is all for it, and it seems like a perfect fit for me, personally. I'm going to go all out in trying to get in, but I've convinced myself that I don't really stand much of a chance given the law school I attend and being in the middle of the class.
Just apply. It's obviously something you want, so don't self-select yourself out if your dream job. What do you have to lose?

Better to have applied and gotten rejected than to have never applied at all.

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:58 pm

Not OP. Let's say you've applied and have a screening interview. How does this differ from firm screeners? Has anyone here done this successfully?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP. Let's say you've applied and have a screening interview. How does this differ from firm screeners? Has anyone here done this successfully?
There is a military law thread that is about 100 pages long that you should be able to find via search. Suffice it to say here that JAG interviews likely differ from big law interviews in nearly every conceivable way.

arpike

New

Post by arpike » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:14 pm

I'm currently an Air Force JAG waiting to start training in March. I was surprised at how little information there was about the process and I was mostly in the dark through the whole thing. I have a blog where I put a lot of information for prospective JAGs that I would have liked to have. Check it out. http://air-force-jag-journey.blogspot.com/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”