Paul Hastings NYC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Paul Hastings NYC

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I summeredI in a non nyc office. I thought the firm culture was good,and associates do not overworked. It is hard to know whether all big law in my market is this way or it is PH. 9 to 7 was mostly common. I came in on a Sat and nobody was in the office on my floor.

But I also heard Nyc office is more sweatshops and isn't really different from other nyc firms.

About the no offers, I think they are pretty picky on personality and fit. I know someone explicitly told it was fit. And the several stories on tls this year all said they screwed up one small assignment. My guess is that is just a personality ding.

I'd guess after the dust settles we will see 85% offers, which is lower than average for them, and but their average is probably only 90 percent historically.

If you have an offer from a true historically 100 percent firm that should be a big plus in its favor. But, most nonv20 (and even several v20) are historically below 100 percent.

Sorry for the typos, poor can't figure out the typing on my I phone.
Thanks x 1000.

Why do you think they will give out historically low offer rates this year? Hasn't the economy been on an uptick, slow and sluggish, but doing better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I summeredI in a non nyc office. I thought the firm culture was good,and associates do not overworked. It is hard to know whether all big law in my market is this way or it is PH. 9 to 7 was mostly common. I came in on a Sat and nobody was in the office on my floor.

But I also heard Nyc office is more sweatshops and isn't really different from other nyc firms.

About the no offers, I think they are pretty picky on personality and fit. I know someone explicitly told it was fit. And the several stories on tls this year all said they screwed up one small assignment. My guess is that is just a personality ding.

I'd guess after the dust settles we will see 85% offers, which is lower than average for them, and but their average is probably only 90 percent historically.

If you have an offer from a true historically 100 percent firm that should be a big plus in its favor. But, most nonv20 (and even several v20) are historically below 100 percent.

Sorry for the typos, poor can't figure out the typing on my I phone.
Thanks x 1000.

Why do you think they will give out historically low offer rates this year? Hasn't the economy been on an uptick, slow and sluggish, but doing better.
Really curious whether there is a basis for believing that this year will involve lower offer rates than past years.

KidStuddi

Bronze

Post by KidStuddi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Really curious whether there is a basis for believing that this year will involve lower offer rates than past years.
I'm fairly sure this is a perfectly kosher question to ask the firm itself. I asked on all of my callbacks and it did not hurt me. Instead of asking a random TLS anon from a different office to speculate, I'd suggest you call up your HR contact and just put it to them directly. Since we're not talking about cold offers here, it is a routine question and the data will be made publicly available on NALP sooner or later anyway. Furthermore, if the rate wasn't 100%, you can ask why and get it straight from the horse's mouth. If the firm doesn't give you a straight answer to either question, that should be a red flag. Either way, no one is going to think ill of you for asking incredibly relevant questions about a potential job.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:09 pm

I question whether the firm will honesty answer the question. One firm promised me they'd start associates on time. When time came for me to start, the associates at the other firm ended up starting in January, and with no stipend.

Bottom Line: at this point, firms can promise you the moon. And you won't be able to so shit if you're burned.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:51 pm

bump

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:45 am

They'll lie straight to your face. What incentive to they have to tell you the truth? Then you won't come. If they get you in the door they can decide later what works best for them. True of most biglaw but especially Paul Hastings First thing I learnt about biglaw is that your not making friends and the partners could care less about you. It's a business ans they are there to make money and your just a billing code. Just a heads up and words advice from some in the industry. Best of luck

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:39 pm

So did anyone choose PH NY over other offers?

Range of other offers? Reasons?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:00 am

Had a screener at PH NY two weeks ago...anyone with similar experience hear back yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:08 pm

Are you 2L or 3L? Screener for which practice area? They seem to take forever to get back.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are you 2L or 3L? Screener for which practice area? They seem to take forever to get back.
2L-I expressed particular interest in L&E, though I'm fine with general litigation...I guess it's more of wait and see than I expected.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are you 2L or 3L? Screener for which practice area? They seem to take forever to get back.
2L-I expressed particular interest in L&E, though I'm fine with general litigation...I guess it's more of wait and see than I expected.
I had a screener about 2 weeks ago, and a callback last week. No word yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I also had a screener around 2-3 weeks ago and a callback last week and have not heard anything yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:54 am

Screeners in November? Is PH feeling the effect of no-offering people already?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Screeners in November? Is PH feeling the effect of no-offering people already?
If they do not feel it now, they will never feel it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I also had a screener around 2-3 weeks ago and a callback last week and have not heard anything yet.
Has anyone heard anything recently? Seems to be very quiet in that office over the last few weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:23 pm

Has anyone heard anything recently? Seems to be very quiet in that office over the last few weeks.
Still not heard anything.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”