Corp v. Lit, ok to say you are undecided? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Corp v. Lit, ok to say you are undecided?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:08 pm

I recently got a callback from a resume collect where i did not indicate a preference. When they ask is it ok to answer undecided? I have good reasons for both but general wisdom is that you should be able to say one or the other and go with that narrative.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Corp v. Lit, ok to say you are undecided?

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:10 pm

I would not sound completely wishy-washy and have no choice, but I would say that there are aspects of both you like, indicate a slight preference for one, and then hedge saying that you can't be sure until you've given both a try.

This is assuming that the place you are interviewing with allows you to try both.

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Corp v. Lit, ok to say you are undecided?

Post by thesealocust » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:16 pm

This is incredibly firm dependent and incredibly you dependent.

If the firm you want has large practices in both areas and you are legitimately undecided, it's fine. If either of those are not true, it's somewhere between "not fine" and "much less fine."

Ex: Williams & Connolly and Boies Schiller both technically do corporate work, but it is dwarfed overwhelmingly by their litigation practices. There are also firms with practices in both areas but more narrow practices in any given geographic region.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”