Rotating suits Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rotating suits

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:32 pm

I am going to a formal NYC firm next summer (obviously JD or CSM) and had a question about suits. I have multiple business suits that I plan on rotating throughout the summer. Would it be appropriate to rotate a black suit in one a week/every other week just to break up the blue and grey suits. If so, should I wear a shirt other than white with it. If this was addressed specifically in the clothing thread please direct me to it, but I could not find it.

MarkRenton

Bronze

Re: Rotating suits

Post by MarkRenton » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am going to a formal NYC firm next summer (obviously JD or CSM) and had a question about suits. I have multiple business suits that I plan on rotating throughout the summer. Would it be appropriate to rotate a black suit in one a week/every other week just to break up the blue and grey suits. If so, should I wear a shirt other than white with it. If this was addressed specifically in the clothing thread please direct me to it, but I could not find it.
I'd say no black. At my firm, I never saw a black suit. If you do, I really wouldn't wear a white shirt because that'd be over poweringly evening formal. I'd go with light blue. A tan/brown is a better break from blue/grey. Or even a dark olive

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:33 pm

I think one of the bad interview stories was about an interviewer that tore someone apart for wearing a black suit. It might not be the best idea.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:10 am

Seriously? I've seen several attorneys wearing black suits while visiting on callbacks. How could you not be able to pull off black?

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Seriously? I've seen several attorneys wearing black suits while visiting on callbacks. How could you not be able to pull off black?
Attorneys can pull off black suits. It's very common for attorneys to wear black suits at funerals.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Seriously? I've seen several attorneys wearing black suits while visiting on callbacks. How could you not be able to pull off black?
The difference between a dark navy/charcoal and black can be difficult to tell at times. But very rarely do attorneys or other professional folks wear them these days.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
The difference between a dark navy/charcoal and black can be difficult to tell at times. But very rarely do attorneys or other professional folks wear them these days.
Professionals never wore black other than as formal wear.

I'm not even sure why anyone buys black suits.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:13 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Black screams I haven't quite grown up yet.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:14 am

drmguy wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Black screams I haven't quite grown up yet.
"My mom bought this for my grandpas funeral!"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KidStuddi

Bronze

Post by KidStuddi » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
No... pretty sure I see black suits daily on the Metro too. Dozens of them. Maybe it's a D.C. thing?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:19 am

KidStuddi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No... pretty sure I see black suits daily on the Metro too. Dozens of them. Maybe it's a D.C. thing?
No you don't.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:32 am

Few will notice. Fewer will care.

Wearing a black suit to an interview is an obvious faux pas, but it's not something that will draw a second look at the office. Don't go out and buy one just for the sake of rotating it into your suit lineup though.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:02 am

Desert Fox wrote:
KidStuddi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No you don't.
Interns

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jump_man

Bronze

Post by jump_man » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:55 am

"Hey, isn't that the same suit I saw last Tuesday?"

. . . but seriously, you need at least five pinstripe suits to be taken seriously . . . black base with black pinstripes is best.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:55 am

drmguy wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
KidStuddi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No you don't.
Interns
in SF, an alarming amount of black suits can be seen.

i worked in the financial district over the summer and everyday i would spot black suits everywhere. in fact, i would say black suits were possibly more common than any other color suit.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:21 am

There are two secrets to black suits.

(1) They aren't appropriate/typical business attire.

(2) For that reason, stores don't fucking sell "black" suits and most people who think they have one, or think about buying one, are really looking at an acceptably charcoal-like-but-not-actually-black suit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”