Trying not to look desperate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Trying not to look desperate

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:45 pm

I got only 1 call-back. When they ask me where else I'm looking, what should I say?

The truth is I'm looking at a lot of public interest stuff and plaintiffs' firms, but since I have a sort of public interest oriented resume, I think saying so would be a bad idea.

Edit: fwiw, it's a DC office of a v50

Anonymous User

Re: Trying not to look desperate

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:56 pm

I would just name some of their competitors because you like X, Y, and Z characteristics that are in common and just say that you applied. Don't have to say you are doing a callback. I think they're trying to see if you've done some thought on what you're looking for in a firm. As long as you clearly indicate why them, you'll be ok.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:59 pm

I agree with the other poster. If there are any defining practice areas that this firm specializes in, just say something along the lines of "I'm looking at firms X, Y, and Z because they are all really strong in _____." That way you're not technically lying and you're emphasizing your interests.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:58 pm

I dunno, I kind of disagree. Was in the same position as original poster and wish I would have not named any one or said something like I'm focused on firms like yours with strong practice area X in X city.

I was dinged and no idea if it would have helped me or not but i think tipping your hand a bit that you'll accept will leave u feeling better at the end of the day. Of course if your grades suck maybe this does't make sense, for me I super underperformed my numbers. I'm a shitty interview what can I say

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:51 pm

Say you're looking at firms x , y and z but you really feel that this firm would be a great fit for you because of a, b and c.

Shows commitment that you are not simply scheming them but also turn it around and show interest in this firm so you don't seem disinterested.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fw8014

New

Post by fw8014 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:09 am

Are you guys routinely getting asked this question? I didn't get anything close to it until near the end of the OCI season when firms were trying to indirectly figure out where I had outstanding offers. I usually try to side-step it by saying other major firms in NYC, my market, and misdirected the question to why I was interested in the firm I was interviewing for. 2/3 firms that asked me something along these lines stopped there. I answered honestly to the remaining firm when the partner asked for names. I got offers from 1 firm where I gave a vague answer and the firm I gave a specific answer to, so I don't think it makes much of a difference as long as you're showing a strong interest in that particular firm.

To me, it's kind of a silly question because law students tend to be interested in the firms that offer them callbacks.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:I dunno, I kind of disagree. Was in the same position as original poster and wish I would have not named any one or said something like I'm focused on firms like yours with strong practice area X in X city.

I was dinged and no idea if it would have helped me or not but i think tipping your hand a bit that you'll accept will leave u feeling better at the end of the day. Of course if your grades suck maybe this does't make sense, for me I super underperformed my numbers. I'm a shitty interview what can I say
I seriously doubt this answer got you dinged.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:I dunno, I kind of disagree. Was in the same position as original poster and wish I would have not named any one or said something like I'm focused on firms like yours with strong practice area X in X city.

So you think your response to this question got you dinged.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:34 am

Stanford4Me wrote:

So you think your response to this question got you dinged.

[img]insert%20image%20of%20sarcastic%20girl%20here[/img]

Agreed..."tipping your hand that you'll accept" lol like firms are scrambling to find law students to hire...this isn't some girl asking you're taking anyone to the prom.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:13 am

Was asked this question by a partner at my first choice firm (which was also somewhat of a longshot for me). I went all in and said that I already had an offer with a firm in the city (true), but given the chance I'd accept with this firm in a heartbeat. He responded well in the interview, and I got an offer just a few days later. I have friends with better credentials who interviewed there and have heard nothing. One thing that helped though was that I had been to several of this firm's events in the past and interviewed with them as a 1L (didn't get it), so I think that by playing off this prior "relationship" my claim of desiring them above all else was more sincere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”