Houston Firms Hiring 3Ls Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Houston Firms Hiring 3Ls

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:52 pm

Looks like I'm going to strike out on 2L OCI. Trying to get an idea of firms in Houston that hire 3Ls for motivation to keep my grades up.

There really isn't much of an excuse as for why OCI has gone so horribly. 4 callbacks. One ding, waiting on the other three, but offers have started to go out so I'm thinking I'm going to miss the boat. Top 15% UT. LR.

Anonymous User

Re: Houston Firms Hiring 3Ls

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:33 pm

As a 3L looking in Houston -- not many from what I've seen so far. At least, in terms of those firms advertising it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Looks like I'm going to strike out on 2L OCI. Trying to get an idea of firms in Houston that hire 3Ls for motivation to keep my grades up.

There really isn't much of an excuse as for why OCI has gone so horribly. 4 callbacks. One ding, waiting on the other three, but offers have started to go out so I'm thinking I'm going to miss the boat. Top 15% UT. LR.
Did you bid too high? Too low? Or, more accurately, given your presumptive lack of ability to know what was a "just right" bidding strategy, could you share how you bid?

Also: I know several UT law students who got 3L offers from major firms. Don't give up. Keep grinding on those grades, and you may want to ask around with the LR 3Ls to see if they know of anything. And schmooze with people (especially lawyers) at LR functions. Don't be weird, but if they ask about what you're doing next summer, say you don't have anything lined up but would love to work in Houston. You never know.

It's hard to tell which firms will hire 3Ls next year, as it is highly dependent upon filling specific needs. I don't think most Houston firms have big programs to recruit 3Ls, but they will recruit if they have specific needs. For example, a firm might bring in 10 transx summers, offer 8 expecting 5, and only get 3. The firm still needs a pair of transx associates, unless their projection was wrong. They then have two options: laterals or law students. If you're a good candidate, and you certainly seem to be one on paper, you can put yourself in the running for a spot like this if you mass mail the big firms.

Hope everything goes well. Buckle down, and you will be fine. A fair bit of UT bashing goes on here, and I think it's generally unjustified. UT for Texas is golden.

*IMPORTANT EDIT* Forgot about one vital thing: keep the grades up and be on good terms with a few professors. If you can stay top 15%, you have a hell of a shot for a clerkship. If you can get a fed court clerkship, the tables will turn and the firms will be the ones competing for you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Looks like I'm going to strike out on 2L OCI. Trying to get an idea of firms in Houston that hire 3Ls for motivation to keep my grades up.

Did you bid too high? Too low? Or, more accurately, given your presumptive lack of ability to know what was a "just right" bidding strategy, could you share how you bid?

Also: I know several UT law students who got 3L offers from major firms. Don't give up. Keep grinding on those grades, and you may want to ask around with the LR 3Ls to see if they know of anything. And schmooze with people (especially lawyers) at LR functions. Don't be weird, but if they ask about what you're doing next summer, say you don't have anything lined up but would love to work in Houston. You never know.

It's hard to tell which firms will hire 3Ls next year, as it is highly dependent upon filling specific needs. I don't think most Houston firms have big programs to recruit 3Ls, but they will recruit if they have specific needs. For example, a firm might bring in 10 transx summers, offer 8 expecting 5, and only get 3. The firm still needs a pair of transx associates, unless their projection was wrong. They then have two options: laterals or law students. If you're a good candidate, and you certainly seem to be one on paper, you can put yourself in the running for a spot like this if you mass mail the big firms.

Hope everything goes well. Buckle down, and you will be fine. A fair bit of UT bashing goes on here, and I think it's generally unjustified. UT for Texas is golden.

*IMPORTANT EDIT* Forgot about one vital thing: keep the grades up and be on good terms with a few professors. If you can stay top 15%, you have a hell of a shot for a clerkship. If you can get a fed court clerkship, the tables will turn and the firms will be the ones competing for you.
What year were those students? I was 2010 and didn't have a single friend that was actively looking get a 3L offer from a major firm, and anecdotally, my firm isn't hiring 3Ls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What year were those students? I was 2010 and didn't have a single friend that was actively looking get a 3L offer from a major firm, and anecdotally, my firm isn't hiring 3Ls.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”