Pageantry and Biglaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pageantry and Biglaw

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:18 pm

If you are a beauty queen or have a beauty queen past, will this negatively impact you when you are looking for jobs, or even if you already have a job in hand? I ask because law is a conservative profession and I feel like a firm might frown upon this kind of extracurricular... Even if you leave it off your resume, there's still a good chance that a google search will turn it up as well.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Re: Pageantry and Biglaw

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you are a beauty queen or have a beauty queen past, will this negatively impact you when you are looking for jobs, or even if you already have a job in hand? I ask because law is a conservative profession and I feel like a firm might frown upon this kind of extracurricular... Even if you leave it off your resume, there's still a good chance that a google search will turn it up as well.
Depends on the firm. In a lot of places that would help you.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you are a beauty queen or have a beauty queen past, will this negatively impact you when you are looking for jobs, or even if you already have a job in hand? I ask because law is a conservative profession and I feel like a firm might frown upon this kind of extracurricular... Even if you leave it off your resume, there's still a good chance that a google search will turn it up as well.
No. Eye candy is always appreciated in the office. Always.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:22 pm

There's a girl who worked at a big firm who was in Playboy.

fw8014

New

Post by fw8014 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:30 pm

Leave it off your resume unless you were Ms. America or something. If it comes up, it comes up. Have a fun, self-aware story prepared and move on.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:44 pm

If you have bad grades or a boring resume, it will not help - in fact, it will tend to make some employers think that you are dumb, vapid, and not cut out for employment at a big firm. If you have good grades and a strong resume, it will likely help a lot - good candidates are relatively uncommon (and therefore in demand by firms), but good candidates who are also stunningly beautiful are very rare indeed, and being a beauty queen can be a really effective foil to your academic and professional selling points.

And just FWIW, Steve Susman is on the record for bragging that his firm's female attorneys are "pleasant to look at."

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:49 pm

Not going to be a big deal. I know several females who are current or former models/pageant contestants, and their results in the job hunt didn't differ materially from others with their credentials / sociability.

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:58 am

+1 4-sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”